CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to set up an outdoor cctv system. My house is semi detached and a ground floor flat with a driveway. I would like coverage of the drive way. front door, sideway and rear garden. So in total 4 cameras. I didn;t really know what sytem I was going to use so installed both RG59 and cat5E cable to the camera positions. ( it was just the cost of cable as I installed it myself)> I was thinking of using a4 chanel h264 DVR.
What cameras can produce images good enough as evidence on a budjet.
The cameras are about 12ft fronm the ground. One camera will be a pinhole camer for the entrance iintercom.

Sponsored Links
whats your budget? you got any pirs / lighting?

a £2000 camera, not set up correctly or on too far a wide view, would not produce any usefull images.

Budget as always.

Why a pinhole for the entry system? It will not get much without good illumination ( As well as the other cameras). You could use a standard entry system and link into that camera. Or use a door spyhole camera. Which would see far more ( As some step back from standard viewers).
The cables are fine, what are the distances (Furthest)? As you need power out to them too.( Thought of the power supply yet?) Heated housings? You will be surprised at what cold and condensation does.
Cameras directly above items/cars/people will see tops of heads.

What views are you looking for, general, person, facial, car registration?
You may need more than 4 cameras.

Thanks for your reply.
The situation is there is a a guy with a dog. He feels that is is perfectly acceptable for his dog to defacate in my driveway, without having to clean it up. I asked him . politely. to not allow his dog to defecate on my proerty. He took offence to this (quite surprsingly) and thought his dog could **** where ever it wanted too and he had no responsibility for this. Well I lost my rag and told him in no uncertain terms what an antisocial and disgusting person he was. Now I find nails in my tyres. Effectively I am trying to protect myself from such antisocial behavior.

Sponsored Links
ok so your wanting to catch scum bags and deter them, im quite confident to say that if you do install cctv, this will act as a huge detterant and your troubles will stop over night, however we need to know how much money your willing to throiw at this, and would you be willing to use used equipment, because if your willing to use used, you can have some of the best equipment there is in the cctv trade.

how much cash we got to play with??

True day/Night cameras needed.
The important bits will be distances and lens selections, you can get varifocals and use hit and miss ( Or got a hand held monitor) method with a friend. Or fixed lenses,which are a bit cheaper.
You will need a wide angle and a narrower view of the car so two cams there. One width full width of garden/drive and one concentrating a few feet around the car (s).
Then what ever you need for the others again with distance and expected views.
Once again too high above the subject and you only get tops of heads/Hoodies (Which should be banned :D).

need price but

varifocal lenses only.

as alarm says, if using varifocals your gona need a test monitor and friend, or a 12v 7inch monitor, hooked to 12v battery, you get to take a monitor up the ladders with you can see what your dooing.

could do with some lighting aswell, very nice colour images can be had at night with some 300w pirs in the right places, the day nite cameras are the way to go though.

1x dedicated micros 9ch dvr 1tb storage, used £248 inc delivery (bargins can be had with these unnits selling for as little as £100, and you bputting a bigger drive in) a quality pro dvr for your house, ps these things cost up to £2000 grand when new.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dedicated...883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a1d7ac66b

1x vista dome VVRD4V9D/N 1/3" 480 TVL, 0.5/0.04 LUX, CLEAR 4-9MM, AI, DD, 12/24V pricey at £110, but its brand new, these and others can be often had for a around £40 used or even new if your lucky.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VISTA-VVR...-/150808828343?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item231ce819b7

if you use ebay, that is, so im gona take that dvr at £248, one vista about (new) £110, and say 2 used vistas (or any other good gear) for £40 quid

thats a fulll pro set up for £438 and even that is at the top end, i could using auctons etc get that kit quite easily for £300 in a week.

or spend £300 on a new no name generic dvr that is c**p.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Forgetting the rest.
Your suggesting taking a 7" monitor up a ladder? 25ft flying lead for the battery? Assuming its a 12vdc one. Or will he carry that as well. The tools and other bits and bobs.

Heard it all now.

PS 300w lights are not allowed anymore on domestics.
Have a little check around :D

think its 500w pirs not allowed.

you fix the camera to the wall, cable etc power it up, you then go up the ladder with the test monitor to fine tune the camera, 12v battery pack in his combat trouser pocket, or his jacket pocket.

how else are you supposed to do it? oh thats right he buys a 3inch pro cctv test monitor for £200, to fit a few cameras, that he aint ever gona use the test monitor again.

i have managed perfectly well with a 4.3inch cheap test monitor for years, nice and clear, easy to get the focus set correctly.

sorry thought it was 7inch, replace with 4inch.

ok so your wanting to catch scum bags and deter them, im quite confident to say that if you do install cctv, this will act as a huge detterant and your troubles will stop over night, however we need to know how much money your willing to throiw at this, and would you be willing to use used equipment, because if your willing to use used, you can have some of the best equipment there is in the cctv trade.

how much cash we got to play with??

Do make sure that the cameras can be seen by the crims. Dont hide them as the visual detterent caused by a nice shiney white camera cannot be over emphasized. I have 4 cameras at home here. One at the front door,one at the back door,one that is zoomed to cover the parked cars and a wide angle peephole in the front door. never had ANY problems at all. Get the best kit you can afford and go second hand if you can...

think its 500w pirs not allowed.

you fix the camera to the wall, cable etc power it up, you then go up the ladder with the test monitor to fine tune the camera, 12v battery pack in his combat trouser pocket, or his jacket pocket.

how else are you supposed to do it? oh thats right he buys a 3inch pro cctv test monitor for £200, to fit a few cameras, that he aint ever gona use the test monitor again.

i have managed perfectly well with a 4.3inch cheap test monitor for years, nice and clear, easy to get the focus set correctly.

sorry thought it was 7inch, replace with 4inch.

You can pick up a small monitor as you suggest for not a lot and use it as a small extension monitor afterwards. You will also find it is not recommended if not statutory for 140/150Watt security lighting on domestics now.
Hence the plethora of conversion kits for the 300/500 units now available.

can you find out if its only 500w pirs no longer allowed?

and if its still alowed to use 300w for sure alarm, you have more contacts then me, unless rf lighting sees this and can advise?

like i say im sure its only 500w that have had the stop put on them.

can you find out if its only 500w pirs no longer allowed?

and if its still alowed to use 300w for sure alarm, you have more contacts then me, unless rf lighting sees this and can advise?

like i say im sure its only 500w that have had the stop put on them.

I can't remember for certain but I think BRs now only permit the installation of halogen floods upto 300W on domestic properties. 500W lamps have been phased out and replaced with 400W lamps, and 300W replaced by 250W.

Anyway PL floods are where it's at at the moment, but these will soon be over taken by LED floods once the technology is there and prices come down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back