CCTV

Part L Security Lights

A range of security lights to comply with Part L of the Building Regulations. This requires the light fitting to have either a lamp which does not exceed 150 watts and that the light automatically switches off when there is enough daylight (photocell fitted) or when it is not required at night (PIR). A light fitting that has a lamp holder that can only be used with lamps having an efficiency grater than 45 lumen's per circuit watt is also compliant, i.e. a compact fluorescent lamp with separate ballast or uses a LED light source.

So 140/150 as required.
LED are still new and not that good, and as said still too expensive.

Sponsored Links
"reasonable provision"

doesn't sound like a "requirement"

Miss this bit did you?

This requires the light fitting to have either a lamp which does not exceed 150 watts and that the light automatically switches off when there is enough daylight (photocell fitted) or when it is not required at night (PIR). A light fitting that has a lamp holder that can only be used with lamps having an efficiency grater than 45 lumen's per circuit watt is also compliant

Early night in from the pub is it ? ;)

Sponsored Links
my 300w are staying put lol, im still waiting for my 24w led flood light to come from china, just hope its as good as my recharable cree headlamp i also got from china, because my headlamp has the best white beam and distance of any head lamp ive ever had, and ive had a few as into fishing.

You don't have to get rid of them, but you are no longer allowed to install them, and also the lamps will get more and more difficult to source.

Here's the bit from Building Regs L1B

Thanks very much for posting that, denso.

I'm particularly interested to see the words "reasonable provision." I can't see the words "this requires" which Ass Alarm prefers.

Are they in a paragraph I can't see?

i wish i could understand this more, because its all to do with the wording, is it a criminal offence for a diyer to install a 300w / 500w light?

can someone explain this, are these regs statuary? is it a offence?

can someone explain this, are these regs statuary? is it a offence?
Building regs are.

doesn't mean you have to rip out existing kit though.

As usual with these things, the devil is in the wording.

Regs are statutory, need for equipment/install/work to be compliant. Somewht self explanatory - but whose gonna do owt if you don't comply?

Regulations tend to be mandatory when they say things like "you must" or "all installations shall" but not when they say "it is good practice to" or "where reasonably practicable"

Look out for people who say things like "this requires" but when you look at the source document it doesn't say so. Sometimes it is sloppy thinking and carelessness, sometimes for some unclear reason they are attempting to mislead. Sometimes no doubt it is a genuine mistake.

There's a saying "what is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence"

Question time
If the building regs are statutory and equipment/work shall be compliant?

Does this mean the can be safely ignored?

is crazy aint it lol, i could have 10x 150w pirs, and that would be allowed, but a 500w pir is frowned up on / not allowed depending on how the wording is understood.

thank god for 36w 2d externals lol.

Question time
If the building regs are statutory and equipment/work shall be compliant?

Does this mean the can be safely ignored?

I can answer that question

Regulations tend to be mandatory when they say things like "you must" or "all installations shall" but not when they say "it is good practice to" or "where reasonably practicable"

HTH

I prefer not to say. Sorry. No offence intended.

The Ass likes to make various guesses, but he is always wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back