CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the difference between you standing in your driveway recording everything going on and a cam attached to your house doing the same?

The first is a lawful activity, the other you should notify the ICO of and could be hauled before the courts if you fall foul of the rules.

What's the difference?

Sponsored Links
Nonsense. (as usual).

However, the cams attached to my property aren't looking into No' 14's bedroom, which is a totally different offence.

That's right, using either a camera or CCTV people are allowed to expect a right of privacy.

Sponsored Links
Most CCTV lacks the pixels to enable a stranger to be identified. Especially if headlights are factored in.

Its different if your local scrote is a one legged ginger haired bloke with a wooden leg who is always accompanied by a Parrot that is known to squawk, "Dan R says Tommy Robinson is a little treasure" (private joke)

But most of the time peoples CCTV is simply recording an Urban Landscape which occasionally features persons of indeterminate sex, age, political persuasion.

Tim

Ps

Rather than blowing £400 on each of three ptz Panosonics, I would have had better results following the advice of someone on hear who suggested... that lots of less powerful cameras situated close to your scrote is preferable to a few camera that are to far from said scrote to identify him/her.

Last edited:
AFAIK there is no difference, the CCTV regulations do not apply to domestic properties.

Those rules that apply to public buildings, businesses et all simply do not apply to a domestic property, there is no need to put up signs, there is no need to be discrete about your camera.
Just don't use it to watch someone else's windows etc. nor show whatever it sees to anyone else.

When in public there is no right to privacy, if you can film something from a public place (i.e. the road) then someone does not have a right to privacy - that's what net curtains were designed for.

A colleague of mine was inspecting a roof from ground level, he was using a digital camera and with the zoom capability + an image size that would allow later enhancement on a PC.

Neighbour clocked the camera [being used on private land] being used to to capture images for an Insurance claim

Neighbour called Plod who [by some miracle] pitched up and tried to nick my colleague, after a load of phone calls, + paperwork, inspection of the captured images agreed that the images could be retained and used.

That was some time ago, do not imagine that plod would have the resources now to even take the call?

Ken.

Their must be signs up stating that fixed cctv is on the premises . If not and you are broken into any images they collect are useless.

Their must be signs up stating that fixed cctv is on the premises . If not and you are broken into any images they collect are useless.

Well I don't have any notices or signs up and I was broken into and they were useless, not because I didn't have signs up but because the people it captured were covered/masked. At no time did the police say they couldn't use the captured images as evidence because I didn't have signs up. As already mentioned, it's for domestic use so the DPA doesn't apply and as a result you have no obligation to notify anyone of CCTV being used.

Domestic users are not under the control of the data protection principles and therefore do not need to make the public aware. However, informing people they are entering an area covered by CCTV is strongly advised and may help should a claim be made that you are making inappropriate use of your CCTV cameras.

If a claim is made you simply show footage to dispell the claims.

A local business man had employees stealing from him for many years so he put up some cameras after a tip off. Loo and behold they showed a few of his most loyal workers stealing.
He was informed that the images were useless as he had no signs up.
Though even if they were useful he wouldn't have pressed charges.
I thought it applied to domestic also.

Last edited:
A local business man had employees stealing from him for many years so he put up some cameras after a tip off. Loo and behold they showed a few of his most loyal workers stealing.
He was informed that the images were useless as he had no signs up.
Though even if they were useful he wouldn't have pressed charges.
I thought it applied to domestic also.

Yeah because it was a commercial setting.

Sponsored Links
Back