Ceiling damp again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After returning from NZ back in March I found large patches of damp on a bedroom ceiling. As the built up felt roof above it was old I had this replaced immediately by a contractor with a good local reputation. I have an Aldi damp meter and kept the patches under regular test until the moisture content fell to under 10%. I then sealed the plaster with gloss and repainted with emulsion.

Now 6 months later I have found a small area of staining (size of an old penny) and the damp meter is reading between 12% and 43% at that point. It is in an area unaffected by the original staining, directly under a seam in the new felt, and the rest of the ceiling is giving readings of zero. My understanding is that anything above 25% is potentially serious and should be investigated. I should add that there is no water supply anywhere near the location.

The roofing contractor is treating with contempt my request for investigation under his 'guarantee', is being extremely rude about the validity of the damp meter readings, and wants a call out fee for looking at it. He says that it can take 'years' for the damp to dissipate and it could be condensation.

Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Does the flat roof have ventilation?
it does sound like condensation!

Does the flat roof have ventilation?
it does sound like condensation!

There is no external ventilation but it has a decent gap between the T&G decking and the insulation. The bathroom is a long way away and the bedroom is little used. Why would there be a 43% moisture reading in one small spot? I would expect condensation to show over a much wider area, as it does in a bathroom or kitchen.

It is a tricky one :confused: is the insulation in the form of slabs - I`m pondering interstitial condensation running through to the ceiling along the top of the insul. and finding a crack that is co-incidentally in line with the join in the roofing membrane above . If you can post some photos there are expert flat roofers about here that can tell the quality of a roofing job @ a glance . I`m just an old skool plumber/ general maintenance snagger ;)

It is a tricky one :confused: is the insulation in the form of slabs - I`m pondering interstitial condensation running through to the ceiling along the top of the insul. and finding a crack that is co-incidentally in line with the join in the roofing membrane above . If you can post some photos there are expert flat roofers about here that can tell the quality of a roofing job @ a glance . I`m just an old skool plumber/ general maintenance snagger ;)

Alas I'm now in my 60s and unable to get up a ladder to have a look! The insulation is B&Q reflective clad stuff that ends at the joist at the centre. I can't see any way that condensation could form at that end (which is bone dry) and run along the cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back