Ceiling - papered and thin boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a bedroom ceiling that is papered but the board is really thin, seems like a thick hardboard, probably done years ago when plastering cost loadsamoney. I'm sure the plasterer that did our kitchen said he couldn't plaster over this kind of board, that's why he had to overboard it first. Does that sound about right?

So the solution is to leave the paper there and overboard it, but we currently have plaster coving (just the regular convex kind) so aren't sure how to deal with this. Does it sound feasible to overboard and plaster up to the edge of the existing coving or is that just a bodge?

If not, is it likely that the coving will come off in one piece and then go back up, or would we be looking at buying new coving too?

Sponsored Links
you can stop the board say an inch away from coving seen it done before makes quite a nice feature some even drop it by an inch add l.e.d strip light aswell

I think it would look strange, and matching the level could be difficult.

The coving will almost definitely be destroyed when removing it, but for the cost of new plaster one (If you decide to keep it, it's considered 'old fashioned' now apparently) it's no great loss

Creating a shadow line feature is an accepted method of boarding up to a cove - a stop bead can be used on any raw edge if needed.

Removing the coving is simple but it then leaves extra work & expense in making good the wall decorations.

Sponsored Links
A good plasterer will often overboard up to the coving, and then skim over on to the coving itself, it's the best method I've come across so far.

FWIW: Any plasterer can board & skim to the coving - if he's no good then he's not a plasterer.

A good plasterer will often overboard up to the coving, and then skim over on to the coving itself, it's the best method I've come across so far.

That's what I'll be going for I think, just trying to gauge how a plasterer should react when I ask him to do it. :)

You are the customer, and if they don't react the way you want them to, consider their response, and then call someone else in if you don't like it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back