Central heating boiler will not light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating boiler will not light.

It is a baxi bermuda 552

I found the online manual and followed the intructions.
I turned the hot water control on. Turned the room thermostat right up to about 40.

At the boiler: I turned the thermostat (aka heating control) by the CH control to 3.5. Pressed down the push button. Pressed the ignition. The ignition needed to be pressed about 12 times before the pilot came on. Then I held down the push button for over a minute and slowly released it. Just before I had completely released the push button the pilot light goes off. It's happened about 5 times now exactly the same way.

What's going on? Is there another control? There is a screw between the push button and the heating control. What is that screw for? Does it control anything?

Please help. I'm utterly destitute and can't afford a gas man.

Sponsored Links

Gonna have to. Am I right in thinking this BBU needs a special TC and a universal won't fit?

ArtfulBodger said:

Gonna have to. Am I right in thinking this BBU needs a special TC and a universal won't fit?

No not on a 552....are you thinking of the oxypilot assembly on the newer boilers?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help folks.

I tried again. I held the push button down for about 3 minutes and the boiler eventually came on. After the boiler stopped the pilot remained on.

I'm guessing that this is a badly positioned thermocouple?

Anyway it works as well as it ever has.

I'll get it serviced after I get a job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back