Central heating comes on unwantedly when hotwater tank heats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not what I need in the summer! When the domestic hot water is heated all the radiators in the flat heat up. There is a shared water pump and an electronic valve in the system which I suspect is at fault. Is there a way to diagnose it?

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan, thanks for your response.
The valve is a "Honeywell 40003916-003 replacement powerhead for V4073A mid-position valves". I assume (and may be wrong) that this valve is meant to stop water flowing into the radiator system when the the hot water tank is being heated. It's got a manual override lever that the instructions say shouldn't be used unless draining the system, so I let it do its own thing. Sometimes I can hear it working but my concern is that it's not working properly.

Your valve is more than likely stuck in mid-position. There are plenty of posts and info about it on here.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps not, but we do understand it!

Same with warrantee and warranty!

With the hot water ON and Heating OFF, can you feel the pipe (leaving port A of your three port valve) a couple of feet away from the valve body?

Is it hot? If yes - then duff valve.

Alternatively with the Hot Water ON and Heating off, feel which pipes on the rads are getting hot first.

Now, go and turn your heating ON and see if the other pipe gets hot.

If it does - you have reverse circulation and a piping error somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back