Central heating info please.

I will take a photo when back there.
I don't think the heating is on a specific time etc, I think she just turns up the room stat when she wants heating.
Otherwise hot water in day 6-7 am and pm then that's when the heating also heats the rads. This must be a nightmare when the temp outside is hot.
As I am doing this whilst she's at work I'm just asking questions as it's not my house by thanks for the help.

I will upload a photo for you to look at.

Hopefully I will be able to move the lever over to auto & hopefully around 6 when the waters comes on the rads will stay cool.

Is there any reason why if it's still the same I won't be able to put the lever back to manual or diesntvtvat then matter ?

Or would I then be committed to getting it fixed straight away etc as I'm off on Thursday & don't want to leave her with a bigger issue than she now has ?

Sponsored Links
From what you post, it sounds as if your sister may have set the heating at the programmer to be either permanently 'on' or, 'on' for most of the day and just uses the thermostat to increase / lower the room temperature. Which means it could come on coincidentally at the same time that the hot water is programmed to be 'on'. ..Maybe...

So, if the room thermostat is controlling the radiators OK, including when the hot water is off. Then the motorised valve is fine. Because it is the room thermostat that operates the motorised valve.

If the heating only works when the hot water is on, (ie if the hot water is 'off' the radiators don't work either) then it is likely that an internal switch inside the motorised valve has failed. This switch is responsible for operating the boiler when heating only is required.

Last edited:
I have now spoke with her and she CH is on at programmer.
When she went to work this morning she switched the CH off now at the programmer.

Now when the water heats up at 6 I will see what happens with the Radiators.

Danfoss valve still in Man position at present.

I thought you only had them set at manual if they were broken as a temporary measure or when filling the system. Perhaps when the system was filled, it was never put back on auto. If on manual, it'll still allow water to go to the rads even if the heating is switched off, I think. I'd put it on auto and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
I have just touched all 3 pipes under the valve, like a T piece. These are all warm.
Should I see one then go cold etc if I switch to auto ?

As long as the hot water is still warming up , yes. You may have to turn the hot water thermostat up though if it's already at it's set temperature as obviously, the boiler and pump will shut off if reaches it's set temperature.

Let it all cool down and stop. Set the valve to auto, turn up the temperature thermostat on the hot water cylinder. You should find only two of the pipes get hot. Then, while that's going, set the heating programme to permanently on and click up the room thermostat. If the third pipe then gets hot it's all working as it should. Then leave it alone and just set the programmer to when you want the heating and hot water to come on.
I always have my hot water on permanent and the heating set for the times I want it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back