Central Heating Plan for Large House

Nice clean pipes, no green shyte and saves the hot works permit bother!
Wipe down after soldering so no excuse for green shyte...no hot works permit required on these type contracts..;)
Dan is fully aware of what I think of pressfit shyte....your above comment is hardly an excuse to use press shyte as opposed to soldered fittings...:)
Hey Dan , get that insulated pronto....:ROFLMAO:;)

But IIRC - you've never soldered anything above 15mm :p:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Nice clean pipes, no green shyte and saves the hot works permit bother!
Wipe down after soldering so no excuse for green shyte...no hot works permit required on these type contracts..;)
Dan is fully aware of what I think of pressfit shyte....your above comment is hardly an excuse to use press shyte as opposed to soldered fittings...:)
Hey Dan , get that insulated pronto....:ROFLMAO:;)

But IIRC - you've never soldered anything above 15mm :p:ROFLMAO:
I use comp fittings above 15mm...

Hey Dan , get that insulated pronto....

Christ, I've not wired the bugger yet. Give me a chance.

I know you hate anything that's sealed with an O-ring......

Hang on....

Whats your boiler of choice?

A leakoTec...... That's right..... now, plastic heat exchanger and a shed load of O-rings and circlips hold that bad boy together am I right?

wolverine_facepalm.gif

Whats your boiler of choice?

A leakoTec...... That's right..... now, plastic heat exchanger and a shed load of O-rings and circlips hold that bad boy together am I right?
No plastic hex on on these babies..;)
I can't do much about O rings and plastic as most boilers use this shyte now , but what I can do is avoid this shyte on the install side and use tried and tested capillary fittings..;)
Filled and tested yesterday and not a weep...fook me that job ate tube and fittings...
Owner has an I phone and tracks how many miles he walks a day in the house , from 8am to 5pm he walked 4.5 fookin miles in that house....:eek:....it's killing me..:rolleyes:
Plastic soil and waste for that job netted 4K..still not finished and running out of fittings.... 7 soil and vent stacks.;)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Vaillant Dom boilers are shyte as are all other manufacturers...Crane got it right back in the 70's...
"we can't compete in this market so unforunately boiler manufacturing will cease"..

So many elbows, how much do they cost. I agree that they make a compact change of direction in tight spaces but what about pipe bending where there is space for a smooth curved bend in the pipe.

Curves create less turbulence, less resistance to flow and have no joints which may fail at some time.

But I assume measure, cut, fit elbow, measure, cut, fit next elbow and so on is quicker than accurately bending pipes

.Crane got it right back in the 70's...
"we can't compete in this market so unforunately boiler manufacturing will cease"..

Wasn't it a Crane boiler that was found to be the oldest working boiler in the UK, about 40 years old and still working.

Maybe they couldn't compete because they were producing boilers built to a good specification with a long life expectancy and therefore expensive rather than boilers designed to be cheap to mass produce and cheap to buy and hence had a shorter life time.

If the public want cheap boilers that last a few years then it is very difficult for a manufacturer of good quality boilers to sell their product in sufficient numbers to be a viable business

It's all 28mm for a start and I wasn't taking big benders down into the basement off a ladder for that in my then condition.

Also, I had very limited space and time. Pulling bends would take up too much of both.

Besides, press elbows are relatively long radii.

Wasn't it a Crane boiler that was found to be the oldest working boiler in the UK, about 40 years old and still working

No. I recently preserved an Ideal Domestic number 3 complete with instructions and fully functional. Ideal came and took it away for one of their training centres.

It was ~75 years old.

.Crane got it right back in the 70's...

Wasn't it a Crane boiler that was found to be the oldest working boiler in the UK, about 40 years old and still working.

Maybe they couldn't compete because they were producing boilers built to a good specification with a long life expectancy and therefore expensive rather than boilers designed to be cheap to mass produce and cheap to buy and hence had a shorter life time.

If the public want cheap boilers that last a few years then it is very difficult for a manufacturer of good quality boilers to sell their product in sufficient numbers to be a viable business

Energy compliant products are designed to last only a few years because the ever-changing demands and regulations means they are unlikely to comply beyond this period! Seems we are able to produce things that are built to last, but we're not allowed to! The Victorian 'greats' must be turning in their graves :confused:

Edit: my current reading material :)...
image.jpg

Thoroughly recommend a visit to this place...

http://www.crossness.org.uk/

Go on a 'steaming day' when they fire up the restored engine!
Whilst there last weekend I was chatting to one of the restoration engineers; when I told him I was a plumber and therefore responsible for some of the waste that gets sent to them, he assured me that they'd "take good care of it for me" :)

Would this be a 'cascade' system, with multiple boilers?

One boiler rated at the output needed to heat the house from cold and heat the hot water cylinder in a reasonable time.

The second boiler much smaller with an output just enough to keep the house warm once the larger boiler has heated the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back