Central heating pump noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our CH/HW pump started making a droning noise a few weeks back so we contacted our plumber and he came out and said we needed a new pump as the bearings had gone in it. He also said the one we had wasn't great and that we needed a better one (It's a DAB Evosta)

However after I pointed out that it was the plumbing company that he worked for who installed it and that it was under a year old and within warranty, he phoned back to his base. A couple of things that I overheard from his call made me a bit suspicious of their motives and after he came off the call he suddenly decided there must be a blockage in the cold water flow from the loft which was causing the pump to run dry (he bled it a couple of times and drops came out). His diagnosis then was that there must be a blockage in the pipes where I have indicated by an arrow so he said he would come back and redo that bit of piping and hopefully that would solve it. However, if that didn't he said that we might need a powerflush of the system (something we spent about 400 quid on last year when they charged a total of 1500 quid to resolve problems with our boiler) and then we might need our radiators replaced as they werer getting old (they are the original ones from the house built in 1992).

Like I say it was something that I heard from the other end of his call back to base which made me a bit suspicious but I'm not sure if his subsequent explanation sounded plausible or not.

The other thing I've noticed is that the pump was installed upside down. I noticed this after installation and assumed this doesn't make any difference but now it's making a noise I'm not sure?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• ch2.jpg
    ch2.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 320
Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with a DAB Evosta, I've fitted loads without any issues. Its present orientation is scruffy, but won't affect operation.

Sounds like you need a new heating company who are actually going to do a proper diagnosis rather than charging you for a scattergun approach to trying to fix your issue.

There is an arrow on the back of the pump showing the direction of flow - it should be pointing downwards - towards the midposition valve. It is possible to rotate the front part of the pump through 180°, so it "looks right", but most installers don't bother.

As for your noise problem - find a better engineer. One who knows how to diagnose faults and isn't just a parts changer.

If all your radiators are get hot all over, you do not need another powerflush. Who did last year's? If the same company, I would have a go at them for suggesting a repeat so soon after the last one. Doesn't say much for their confidence in their own work.

There is an arrow on the back of the pump showing the direction of flow - it should be pointing downwards - towards the midposition valve. It is possible to rotate the front part of the pump through 180°, so it "looks right", but most installers don't bother.

As for your noise problem - find a better engineer. One who knows how to diagnose faults and isn't just a parts changer.

If all your radiators are get hot all over, you do not need another powerflush. Who did last year's? If the same company, I would have a go at them for suggesting a repeat so soon after the last one. Doesn't say much for their confidence in their own work.

It was the same company who did the power flush last year. I think I’ll get a second opinion. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm only a diyer, second opinion I would go for. I've drained my system twice in 18 years, though never powerflushed, changed my rads 8 years back. 1980s system, moved in 2002 and replaced pump once. As someone said arrow on pump to give direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back