How to shut up a noisy shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had our water system completely overhauled and as part of that had a new two-shower pump installed (Shower mate brand). Having a shower pump was not my first choice; we wanted a pressurised system, but in the end the plumber said the mains pressure may not be up to it so we had to go for the traditional gravity-fed system with a shower pump. He assured me the new shower pump would be quieter than our old one, but it sounds like a plane taking off and disturbs the whole house!! When we got him to come back and listen he said the pump must be faulty so he has just installed a new one, but it is no different.

The pump is in the airing cupboard upstairs, on a cushioned mat.. The noise is a disturbance to the whole household, including downstairs.

My q: many people have shower pumps, I know there will be some noise, but what are your tips to make it bearable and to avoid it waking everyone up when someone has a shower first thing/last thing at night???

Thanks for your help,
Helen

Sponsored Links
Put the pump on something like a concrete paving slab. Stand the paving slab on a block of foam to isolate it from the floor.

Connect the pump to the pipework with flexible tails.

make sure the rigid pipework is well fixed right up to the pump tails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back