central heating system clean out. - price check.

Sym

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had british gass round (as we pay them for maintenance) and they have fixed a leak on the fill to the combi and discovered there was a lot of corrosion in the central heating system. We explained we had the magic anti corrosion stuff in bet then he said that it does not work like that and that you need to have had the system cleaned out before it was put in (which we did not) SO british gas say it will be 2 men for 2 seperate days, one to put cleaner in and one day to clean out and refill and will cost £550 - is this about right do you think ? - the system is a glowworm 125000BTU combi with 12 radiators ??

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
British Gas do the business and have a good reputation BUT you will pay a premium. Phone your local Corgis to see what other quotes are.

You could save a few quid. :D

What problem is being caused here? Noise at the boiler? Any radiators not working properly?
It would impede the system's ability to get the heat out of the boiler, but isn't directly wasting it. It would be mandatory to clean the system, and do other work when the boiler is changed, but meantime if it ain't broke...

They changed a component in the boiler that had a leak and they showed me the inside which was realy gunked up and they said it looks like your system has not been cleaned in years. We have been in the house 7 years and replaced the boiler 4 years ago but althought the system has been drained many times it has never been cleaned. I basically took their advise when they said it really does need a clean.

Sponsored Links
Well if BG say it needs doing then they are always right, as for the price I would say it's very cheap.
Did I mention I start work for BG next month. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

seems to me bg always suggest a powerflush.....weather u could drink the ch water or indeed it looks dirty.
its obviously a very good earner for them !
i'm with chris....if it aint broke, leave it. or get a plumber to put some de-sludger in the system, drain down and inhibitor for about £120 ?

If they have shown you the evidence and your problem was caused by it, then yes as you already suspect it seems to need doing. We here have no idea about the level of sludge and couldn't advise without seeing it of course so presume the question is about price. The price could probably be up to halved with a private contractor, but you don't know what you are getting and you have no guarantee wheras with BG the powerflush is guaranteed for the life of the service contract with no break........you decide ;)

If it ain`t broke......and if it does break..BG have to fix it under your contract :?: If so , leave alone and let them earn their vast profits....they are part of Centrica owned by our friends across the channel so the profits leave the country anyway :LOL: :rolleyes:

Nige F said:
If it ain`t broke......and if it does break..BG have to fix it under your contract :?:

No they don't, once sludge or scale has been identified as a problem and a powerflush (or similar) advised to the customer any further problems caused by sludge or scale are not covered officially unless the remedial work has been done.

Nige F said:
part of Centrica owned by our friends across the channel

Is it :?:

Well a 12 rad system is going to take a long time to powerflush; a very long day.

You should get someone to do it for 3 to 4 hundred, but they will have earned it.

I use a magnatherm and powerflush on every new boiler. If the customer wants the magnatherm left in (which would be greatly beneficial to them) then I will leave it in for £100 and advise on how to clean it. You'd never imagine how much magnetite is in your system until you've seen it clung to a magnet. Amaising some boilers work at all.

I think you should get system powerflushed and have a magnatherm (which you should clean yourself frequently until the problam is solved) put in to carry on the good work.

Never heard of a "Magnatherm" !

What about a "Magnaclean" as developed by Chris Abney?

Tony

ollski said:
Nige F said:
If it ain`t broke......and if it does break..BG have to fix it under your contract :?:

No they don't, once sludge or scale has been identified as a problem and a powerflush (or similar) advised to the customer any further problems caused by sludge or scale are not covered officially unless the remedial work has been done.

Nige F said:
part of Centrica owned by our friends across the channel

Is it :?:
.........as far as I know :confused: ... Plus how many systems are sludged by now :?: Millions :LOL: ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back