central heating

hunter to balance rads quick explanation,turn the boiler heating thermostat up to max and room stat.
now see which side of the rad gets got first this is your flow. the other side is your return get two clamp on thermostats if you have got a standard efficiency boiler then you want the flow to be 82 degrees,
now on the return you want 71 degrees 11 degrees difference ie rad losing 11 degrees,do this on all the radiators and you should have a balanced system, dont listen to some replies they dont appear to know their own profession

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
doitall said:
corgiman said:

What was :LOL:

I pressed the wrong button and seem to have quoted someone on this here thread

but i didnt want to and you cannae delete

MOD 2

i can tho ;)

So can I :cool:

Bring on Mod Rupert and we have a full house :LOL:

Sorry couldn't resist :oops:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm far too sensible to do that

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

the plumbing miracle said:
hunter to balance rads quick explanation,turn the boiler heating thermostat up to max and room stat.
now see which side of the rad gets got first this is your flow. the other side is your return get two clamp on thermostats if you have got a standard efficiency boiler then you want the flow to be 82 degrees,
now on the return you want 71 degrees 11 degrees difference ie rad losing 11 degrees,do this on all the radiators and you should have a balanced system, dont listen to some replies they dont appear to know their own profession

Why the hell will balancing the radiators get them hot on the bottom.

As ChrisR has said, the most likely cause is the TRVs or room stat shutting down.

If the bottom is completely blocked then the top will be cold as no water can get in the radiators.

If the top gets hot then there must be a circulation so at least the 2 side must get hot as well.

lateral thinking TPM :LOL:

because by balancing the speed at which water circulates in the radiator you will get all the radiators with even heat, we have already established it cannot be sludge as its a new system i know its late but wake up

Sponsored Links
the plumbing miracle said:
because by balancing the speed at which water circulates in the radiator you will get all the radiators with even heat, we have already established it cannot be sludge as its a new system i know its late but wake up

Rubbish, all the radiator get hot, and restricting the return also slows the flow.

If the top gets hot so must the bottom unless the TRV or stat is shutting down.

The only way that the top of a rad can get hot is if hot water has entered through the flow connection.

Whatever happened next we dont know but certainly hot water must have been entering through the flow and to make space for it then cold water will have been leaving the return.

As the weather is still quite warm in heating terms then the TRV would probably shut shortly afterwards, or the room stat or boiler would shut off or perhaps the owner just did not run it for long enough?

Might be an auto bypass set too low.

Call back the installer!

Tony

maybe i should have said that it is eaga installation and the trv is placed on the top left and the return on the bottm right. the room stat was set to 25degrees and trv opened all the way. checked to-day and water gauge was at 1.1bar. the system was running for four hours last night and the only rad to heat to bottom was one in hallway with no trv that is where the room stat is located. the room seem to be warm enough as rads switch off when roomstat clicks off. also this morning system wouldn`t start checked boiler and was locked out took five goes to get it going/ would start but not fire up and locked again at 24 seconds wait 3 minutes to try again...installer from glasgow dont treally want to call them hundreds of miles maybe for something easy

any rad set to max for 4 hours should be as hot as the boiler can get it regardless of indoor temp.

obvious thing would be check the top pipe is the inlet, symptons sound like theyve been switched.

if it is correct then try balancing, start with furthest away rad (index) and get them hot individually as the system starts to balance im sure its under FAQ's

hunter16a said:
i think installer said they were two way and would work which ever end

yes you should bleed the rads, TBOE works exactly the same way as BBOE except the flow goes in the top.

Ok now for the tricky part :LOL: you have two tasks,;

Check the pump is working first. and turn it up to speed 3 if not already.

Second take the thermostatic head off one of the radiators and try it for 30mins tops.

Post if itmakes any difference.

And forget the balancing, the problem is on all the rads, or I assumed it was by your post. The pump seems the most likely problem.

yes trv's are bi-flow but with rads that are piped at the top to bottom then it must flow this way. made this mistake my self (although we were joining to an existing rather than a whole new one)

this seems like the problem, however surely your installer would have tested them?

If the TRV is connected at the top of the rad then its more likely to be receiving convected heat from the rad !

I know that some people do fit them there but I would not wish to do that.

Has the owner removed the TRV head ?

I would strongly suspect the problem is just that the TRV is turning off !

Tony Glazier

through eaga a company running central heating for the elderly they insist they fit the tvr at the top for access for the old folk you are not able to bend / it looks like as someone said that some of the rads have been coupled up to the return flow as this afternoon i tried the heating and down one side of the house the return pipes are first to heat up and they seem to heat up the right side and over the top /the heat then i think the heat is slowly coming down the rad by convection. tried taking the tvr handle off and changing the flow the other way no difference.
i think i will call back the installer and let him do the worrying

hunter16a said:
changing the flow the other way no difference.

Just how did you "change the flow" ???

Did you really disconnect the pipes feeding the radiator under the floor and connect them back the other way?

Are you an old person who lives in this flat ? If not what is your involvement?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back