Ceramic Hob issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue with my brand new oven. It has a sleek ceramic hob and looks lovely - it replaces our ratty old Gas cooker. I was cooking jacket potatoes in the oven recently, when I returned to the kitchen one of our cats was curled up on said ceramic hob!!! It was all warm and toasty from the oven - perfect cat bed.

I screamed and will endevour to hurl water at her if I catch her again but am not sure what else will work. The allure of a warm surface may be too much. I'm concerned when the warm surface is more like red hot.

Mmmm crispy cat paw taste so good....

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
You should have trained her to stay off tables and kitchen worksurfaces.

From what I've heard , she will continue to lie on the hob, and walk over it, until one day she burns her paws. After that, being unable to tell if it is hot or not, she will run anxiously across it but will still get burned if it is hot.

I doubt she will let you put her burned pads in cold water to minimise the burns.

Has it got a lid?

My cat has jumped on to the ceramic hob before while it was in use and it soon reversed and jumped off. No great damage to the pads, but I'd like to think it learnt a lesson.

I doubt you'll stop your cat getting on the hob as it will learn to do it whilst you're not around. You can try to scare the cat each time you catch it, but cats can be stubborn animals and sometimes have to learn from their mistakes.

She is normally pretty good at leaving the worktops alone, although in reality she probably slides up and down them when I'm out!

Hopefully once frazzled twice shy but she's not too bright so it might take a few goes!

KW

Sponsored Links
I wonder if she might learn more safely if you leave the hobs on low, say, as hot as a kettle, rather than hot enough to take the skin off?

Good idea JohnD, I hope I can mastermind a situation before the hob gets too hot. Thanks! KW

When you're using the hob and its hot, have 4 pans on the 4 rings, even those you aint using. Dont use bleach on the hob, or any other fragrant cleaners. Cats love the smell and roll in it. (Ours did anyway)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back