Instructions for clearance, ceramic hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, hope everyone is well?

I have a Hoover Ceramic hob waiting to be installed but can't until I've cut out the area in the worktop for it. I've just recently installed new worktops and the area we had our old oven, is now occupied by a new 600mm cabinet, as we needed the space and don't use the oven anyway. I was hoping to install the hob above this new cabinet but it sits right next to a larder. The installation manual states that 150mm is required on the sides from any walls/cabinets. The issue with adhering to this is that it will cut into, above our cutlery drawer and will be partly under a wall cabinet. AO.com states that only 40mm is required on the sides but I'm unsure whether this will be suitable or not. We've had the larder for 6 years and have had 2 different electric cookers sit right next to it and have had no issues with either heat damage or room for pans etc. Would I be able to get away with 40mm or not as will have to do some changing around if the 150mm has to be adhered to. Many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Manufacturing rules are the ones you need to follow.
Are you 100% sure of this as I've read on AO.com that only 4cm is required on the sides

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230106_220228_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230106_220228_Chrome.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 67
Who is most likely to know what clearance is needed for a particular appliance?
a) The manufacturer of the appliance
b) A company that sells lots of different appliances.

Sponsored Links
So the manufacturer says 150 then, hard to argue with that but sometimes common sense must prevail. Might be better asking in the Electrical section.

So the manufacturer says 150 then, hard to argue with that but sometimes common sense must prevail. Might be better asking in the Electrical section.
Well I did ask the electrician that's going to install it what he thought and he stated that 150mm is the minimum but 300mm is the rule of thumb, but not sure what regs he got that from

You could contact the manufacturer technical department to ask if they can explain/justify why there needs to be a 150mm clearance when the salespeople state you only need 40mm.
They may say it's simply for maintenance clearance of they may have a genuine reason such as heat transmission to possible combustible surfaces.

You could contact the manufacturer technical department to ask if they can explain/justify why there needs to be a 150mm clearance when the salespeople state you only need 40mm.
They may say it's simply for maintenance clearance of they may have a genuine reason such as heat transmission to possible combustible surfaces.
I think I'll try that, thanks

If you have to have 15cm clearance from walls and units, that means back wall to front of unit becomes 670mm. How deep is your worktop?

I suspect that they are not referring to the rear wall, and it may be the case that the "burners" at the back are less powerful.

I am not an electrician, but in your case, I would follow the path of least resistance. Assuming that you aren't in the habit of leaving pans on the hob for hours whilst you are out, I would go with the lower requirements.

If you have to have 15cm clearance from walls and units, that means back wall to front of unit becomes 670mm. How deep is your worktop?

I suspect that they are not referring to the rear wall, and it may be the case that the "burners" at the back are less powerful.

I am not an electrician, but in your case, I would follow the path of least resistance. Assuming that you aren't in the habit of leaving pans on the hob for hours whilst you are out, I would go with the lower requirements.
Well we have tiles on the back wall and requirements state at least 50mm at front and back. I've tried searching up building regs and have mostly come across that manufacturer guidelines override building regs

Well we have tiles on the back wall and requirements state at least 50mm at front and back. I've tried searching up building regs and have mostly come across that manufacturer guidelines override building regs

It is reasonable that manufacturer regs take precedent but as @freddiemercurystwin says, sometimes you need to apply some common sense

Well I contacted the manufacturers technical department and they have replied stating the instruction manual has the correct information. I suggested the 40mm that I found and waiting a response. If the 150mm has to be adhered to, I will have to make a number of changes to account for it. The main one I see is that I will need to cut about 3 inches over the cutlery drawer. I will be buying 2 new cabinets to account for this but until I can scrape the money together to get them, will I face any issues with it being like this ie heat issues with cutlery?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back