change a rad for more heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i'm thinking of changing the single radiator in the hall for a double one, is it worth doing? would there be much of a difference in the output of heat?, at the minute you can tell the difference in heat from the rest of the house and its quite a lot

Sponsored Links
Sorry about replying with questions but...

is the hall draughty and can that be improved first?

is the present hall radiator getting as hot as the others in the house?

is the room thermostat situated in the hall?

A double will certainly give an improvement provided the flow of hot water through the existing radiator is healthy. You should be able to find an online Myson or Quinn list of radiators where you can compare the heat outputs of singles with double panel or even double convector.
If the room thermostat is in the hall you won't want to over-do the upgrade which might leave the rest of the house a bit cooler.

hi, hall is not draughty but quite big, and there is not a rad on the landing (which is quite small) so a single rad has to do both, the rad gets as hot as the rest and the rest are single rads as well but all in rooms, the thermo is in the hall about 6 foot away, all the rads in the house are quite old but in every room you can feel the heat so they all work fine just that the hallway and landing are quite cold, we have a carpet down in the hallway as well so not loosing heat thru the floor etc, i didn't know if a double would give out much more heat or not, there is a 1200mm rad on at the minute and there is enough room for upto an 1800mm rad, i suppose it wouldn't hurt to put a bigger double rad on??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back