Changing a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

FYI I have very little knowledge of our house wiring circuitry so apologies if I make any mistakes.

I'm trying to replace a light switch in our 6 year old house. I've done nearly every other switch no problems buying the replacement switch required and matching the wiring however I'm struggling with this last one.

It's part of a three landing set up so understand that it is the intermediate for the loop of one light and three switches however it is a double switch with only one switch with an intermediate connection (see photo attached), the other is for a simple light connection. I've not seen this before and cannot find a replacement switch as they are either both intermediates or neither are. I hope this makes sense.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Could I use a normal intermediate and connect as original set up?

Any help appreciated.

Pip

Sponsored Links
I have also never seen a mix like that, other than with a grid switch, the grid switch does allow a mix, but the intermediate switch will work as a two way or on/off so normally one would use two gang intermediate.

Thanks for your reply.
I thought you could use an intermediate as a normal switch. Would it matter whether L1 or L2 was used for the single switch where currently it is in the "common"?

No, it does not matter.

Use the same L both ends or the switch will be upside down - unless it's upside down. :)

Sponsored Links
A 2 gang intermediate is rare though. I've seen a few photos thanks to this site, but I don't think many manufacturers make them.

I suspect your current set up is like a grid system, with seperate modules.

Can you send a picture of your new design of switches (and the name of the maker) and we may be able to find something to match.

I imagine grid system may be the obvious solution, but you never know.

Thanks again for all the replies.

This is the switch I'm going to order (http://theswitchstore.co.uk/product...=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=15136525319)
and I'm assuming it's going to arrive with this config at the back??

image.png

Does this uncommon switch match all the others you have replaced already?

AFAIR, MEM have switch modules that snap in an out.

Click do an amazing range too (not grid switch in the traditional sense as there is no yoke), with all sorts of different plate finishes.

For a multi-gang switch, you just choose which switch modules you want.

This is an example of a plate:
https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/mode-triple-aperture-double-minigrid-plate.html

And this an example of a switch module:
https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/minigrid-polar-2-way-10ax-ingot-switch-md002pw.html

Does this uncommon switch match all the others you have replaced already?

I'm hoping so. All the others have been standard 1 or two switches; and the other intermediate switch was part of a 1 switch set up so was to easy source.

I've already ordered some fan isolators from this same company so if they arrive matching the colour of my previously installed switches, then I'll order this one and I'll have finished.

Will update when I receive the switch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back