changing float valve in cold water tank - and pipe freezing!

A little professional tip.

When doing a job like that turn on all the mains taps kitchen and outdoors fully so that if the freezer fails or if the street stopcock does not turn it off completely then there is less pressure to stop anyway.

Some experienced plumbers would just do that and cut the pipe and "snatch" on an isolating valve if the mains flow is not very good anyway. Spills 2-3 litres of water and takes 2 minutes rather that fiddling about with external stopcocks full of mud or even risking breaking an internal stopcock.

Tony

Sponsored Links
LB,

Here's a Stop Cock Key.

p4759203_x.jpg

Get one here for £17 quid ....

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/71652...36?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-STOP COCK KEY-_-71652#

Sponsored Links
will this Universal stopcock key as shown above fit most external stopcock heads?

In theory they do but in practice the work well on the "T" taps, fairly well on the 3/4" square but are not very good on the common 1/2" we find mostly in London.

Possibly if the head is a bit dented they dont slide over?

I would want to carry a dedicated 1/2" tool.

Tony

ok thanks for advice on that. anywhere good i can buy a 1/2 one from? as i am obv in london!!! :)

If you aready have a socket set "spanners" which usually includes a T-handle and extension bars, there might be a socket that would fit the shaft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back