Changing old light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello lady newby here..............no need to hide, I ask before I do :(
I have a horrible old light in my lounge, I decided to take off the glass shade, and was faced with wiring from ceiling into clear "box" and from light into same box. Now that threw me, I was expecting to be able to remove the light and replace with usual wire and bulb holder. The bulb went last week and I changed it but its not working, usual for this house.
So, I will post a picture, if I can, and hope you may be able to give me idiot points to change it.
Thanks in advance. :LOL: View media item 8796 View media item 8797
As you can tell Im not much good at photography either !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
the clear box is just a junction box, you can unscrew the terminals from there. with power off

Thanks Nitro
Does that mean I will be left with the two wires coming from the ceiling, they go into the the new round bit i have that screws to the ceiling with the wire and bulb holder?

As far as I can see from your pics, you would be left with the red and black wires which would connect to the terminals on the middle black body of a standard pendant lamp holder between the upper cover and lower retaining ring which both screw onto the body.

Sponsored Links
Brill, I will tackle this tomorrow, can send my daughter up the steps, and I will "supervise" ! If this goes well :LOL: I might tackle some light switches !!!!! so will see you again. Thanks

If your lighting circuit has no earth, it is a sign that it needs rewiring.

I cant see an earth on your supply cable there, just live and neutral. Pull on the wire (gently) and see if you can find a third core (it might be bare)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back