changing rad size & bending pipe work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had some tatty rads removed as part of work going on & i'd rather they were replaced although not essential.

I thought the one in the hallway (600mm wide -x- 700mm high) was a strange size but looking on the screwfix site you can pick these up ok enough so that's ok. Like for like it would seem.

There is one in the living room though that is 950mm wide -x- 600mm high.

The pipe work already looked sort of bent to fit in, leaning backwards kind of thing rather than in to it if you get me?

Those carrying out the work at our house are not plumbers. They can remove & refit but that's about it.

The rad is a double panel single convector. Is it ok to slightly bend pipe work (10mm copper) or is there no other way other than cutting & soldering?

If so is it better to bend for a bigger rad (1000mm) or a smaller rad (900mm) - so basically +/- 50mm?

When the plumber changed the main one i know he had to re-route the pipe work (we went from a 1760mm to an 1800mm) & i'm sure he either had to or he just did - cut & solder.

Sponsored Links
10mm pipe can usually be bent quite easily but I'd go for the smaller rad and make up the difference with radiator tail extensions if I were you as bending them outwards that much is going to be hard (5cm per side).

What is in there right now is a 950mm-x-600mm double panel single convector.

Would i be correct in thinking that there'd be very little heat output difference between that & a 900mm-x-600mm double panel double convector rad?

The plumber we had in sourced "purmo" rads. I went to where i believe he got them from today but couldn't find the store. It wasn't where google maps said it was. Another option would be to pick up some Kudox rads from Screwfix.

I don't need to pay for the best of the best but equally i do want something that's decent enough. The Purmo appeared to be £20 dearer than the Kudox for the same thing. Is either of these ok or would you guys steer away from one of them?

Also i was thinking of getting new valves also but where to begin?

I've read Drayton are ok but even there i've seen a few TRVs & am not sure which to select.
Then there's the valve on the other side of the rad.

Sponsored Links
It would actually have a slightly higher output if anything.

Brand of radiator makes very little difference in my experience.

TRV again everyone will have a different opinion. Don't go for the cheapest of the cheap and you'll not do too badly. Bulldog Terrier ones are a good compromise on price and performance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back