changing the boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i bought this apartment a few years ago it had a pulsacoil 2000 fitted it must be at least 10 years old as the apartment complex is 10 years old.
In the complex there are 100 apartments and at least 10 of these the boilers have broken down and leaked all over the place in the last six months.So i am looking at changing boilers.
My requirements are to have a shower in the morning and some washing up in the evening.I do my laundering elsewhere.As for central heating i have electric panel heaters.
The shower is a mixer shower which is installed behind the tiling in the bathroom so dont really want to put in a new shower andredecorate.
I would like an electric boiler but what type do i need,what are good makes,how much would it cost to fit and remove the old boiler.Any other useful advice be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The pulsacoil is not a boiler but a thermal store.

Basically a large tank of hot water that uses a pump to heat hot water
on demand via a plate heat exchanger.

Rip it out and have an unvented cylinder installed.
150 litre should be ok.

There is not need for any central heating as you say you use electric radiators.

You might want to consider and air source heat pump and replace the whole
central heating and hot water tank in one go as this would be cheaper to run.

hi cheers for the info what are the best makes for these and how much should a plumber charge to rip out the pulsacoil and fit one of these.I have no idea of pricing and timelines so any other useful info be appreciated

Sponsored Links
hi cheers for the info what are the best makes for these and how much should a plumber charge to rip out the pulsacoil and fit one of these.I have no idea of pricing and timelines so any other useful info be appreciated

An unvented cylinder of around 120-150 litres comes in at roughly £500 + whatever the labour and parts to connect it up area.

Should come in at under £1000.

Hi thnx for all the quick replies i am on the third floor as said before i currently have the pulsacoil2000 it is housed in a little cupboard across from my bathroom.
As for the inverted cylinder i have just seen an interesting video of one blowing up.What qualifications would a person need fitting one of these.

There is a special certificate for unvented cylinders.

I would advise at least 150 li, not for you but for a couple with child in the future.

Possible for £1000 but only using cheapest cylinder. I suggest more like £200 more.

Tony

You really need someone to come and have a look and give you an quote, but by your description you may be looking at another thermal store,particularly if you can't find a suitable termination for the unvented cylinders' discharge. Probably why unventeds were not put in in the first place. Make sure the installer has the relevant qualifications.
This has got to be in the centre of Nottingham.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back