Cheap RCBO

Sponsored Links
Scoby, Its not for a CU, its to go into a 2module box to feed a single socket. (at suitable rating obviously)

I'm always distrustful of these cheap Chinese copies of western products. My advice would be to forget ebay, go to your local electrical wholesaler, and ask them to supply an established brand like Schneider, Hager, MK, or similar.

Sponsored Links
My apologies for jumping to the wrong conclusion!!

But as stillp says. It could be your life (or someone else's) all to save what? A tenner maybe.

I'm always distrustful of these cheap Chinese copies of western products. My advice would be to forget ebay, go to your local electrical wholesaler, and ask them to supply an established brand like Schneider, Hager, MK, or similar.
That is obviously the 'safe' view, which most of us would take, and probably the advice we need to give. However, whether the 'western' (branded) products are necessarily any better/different (rather than just being more expensive because one is 'paying for the name', and a higher margin) is a much more difficult question to answer. In practical terms, if one goes for an 'established western brand', and least one knows where to go, and how, if/when things go wrong! Gambling-wise, an 'established western brand' in undoubtedly a 'safer' bet.

Kind Regards, John

Take the advice and buy from a known reputable supplier.

There was that incident a few years ago where protective devices bought from an internet supplier with lots of positive feedback were found to have no mechanisms in them.

Thanks for all the replies. I will heed the advice and go for an acceptable brand. I was mainly interested in seeing if anyone has used these cheapo's and found them OK, as most of the recognised brands are now made in China, possibly to better standards.

Take the advice and buy from a known reputable supplier. There was that incident a few years ago where protective devices bought from an internet supplier with lots of positive feedback were found to have no mechanisms in them.
That is very true. There was also, of course, an incident not that long ago when a major 'established/reputable western brand' had to recall a lot of protective devices because they were catching on fire ... so it's not all totally straightforward!

The danger of the 'scam' you describe (or,indeed, of undetected functional defects) is obviously a lot less with RCBOs (as being discussed here) than with MCBs - since there has to be enough mechanism (probably the major part of an RCBO mechanism) present for the test button to work as expected. Since they are effectively 'untestable', the risk is much greater in the case of MCBs.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all the replies. I will heed the advice and go for an acceptable brand. I was mainly interested in seeing if anyone has used these cheapo's and found them OK, as most of the recognised brands are now made in China, possibly to better standards.
Probably the right decision. At least some of the cheap brands may well be fine (hence very good value), but .....!!

Kind Regards, John

I have used Niglon before and they are okay, CEF did used to sell them, can't remember the price though.
The others I can offer no comment on.

I have used Niglon before and they are okay, CEF did used to sell them, can't remember the price though. The others I can offer no comment on.
I suspect that many of them are, in fact, 'OK'. Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if some were manufactured in the same factories, to the same spec and for the same ex-factory price as many of the so-called 'western' branded ones - the primary difference being the price to the end user. However, one can never be certain. It's tempting to believe that if one pays more, and has a 'western brand', then it's more likely to be OK - but that's no certainty, either. It would certainly be interesting to know how much of the difference in price to the end-user is attributable to higher materials/manufacturing costs (hence perhaps a better product) and how much to the higher margins/mark-ups applied to the 'western'-brand products (hence more wealthy shareholders!).

Kind Regards, John.

http://www.counterfeit-kills.co.uk/uk/index.php?page=home
Counterfeit products are, of course, a whole different problem, in many senses more worrying. If the counterfeiting is good enough, the end-user, maybe also retailer/wholesaler and/or others in the supply chain may genuinely believe that what they have are genuine products from 'established/reputable western brands' - altough what they actually have is (possibly dangerous) rubbish (maybe even just empty enclosures, in the case of things like MCBs).

If the counterfeiting is done well, that's a much more difficult problem to detect and deal with than is pointing fingers at 'unknown' (but probably mainly legitimate) manufacturers of (quite probably legitimate/'OK') products.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back