Is this iffy

Sponsored Links
They're flogging them in my local city. The quality doesn't look great and I'd personally give that one a miss. Screwfix have some that look ok, but I think it's easier just to plug in a normal charger ;)

Definately suspect.

A similar item for the USA market was found to have no isolation between the 110 volt and the USB. One side of the USB was connected to the Neutral and the other side connected to Live via a pulse width modulating transistor. When that transistor fails short circuit the USB port gets 110 volts which destroys any item plugged into it.

I would in general avoid buying power supplies from places like ebay......

Sponsored Links
It's no different to leaving your phone charger plugged in all the time which I'm sure lots of us are guilty of.

It can't be very energy efficient to have a 5v transformer running for all of time, can it ??
Goodness knows about these cheapo products, but decent ones (e.g. MK USB charging modules, such as K5837), like decent isolated shaver sockets, have primary switching of the PSU ....
Mr MK said:
Additionally, the new USB charging module has zero standby power consumption as it automatically disconnects when the plug is removed, saving power.

Kind Regards, John

Moulding has a BS number in it, just not very visible.
Just one? If so, which? The socket part of it needs to be to BS1363, but I rather doubt (but don't know for sure) that BS1363 covers USB chargers.

Kind Regards, John

It can't be very energy efficient to have a 5v transformer running for all of time, can it ??

Proper chargers consume very little power (<0.1W) when unloaded. Leaving one plugged in for a year consumes less energy than taking a bath.

Please note that they are not simple transformers.

Proper chargers consume very little power (<0.1W) when unloaded. Leaving one plugged in for a year consumes less energy than taking a bath. Please note that they are not simple transformers.
Indeed - but, as I said, some of them (like the MK modules) consume zero power when 'unloaded' (when nothing is plugged into their socket), since there is a plug-activated switch on the input to the charger circuitry. As I also said, the same is true of decent isolating shaver sockets (which are 'simple transformers').

Kind Regards, John

Proper chargers consume very little power (<0.1W) when unloaded. Leaving one plugged in for a year consumes less energy than taking a bath. Please note that they are not simple transformers.
Indeed - but, as I said, some of them (like the MK modules) consume zero power when 'unloaded' (when nothing is plugged into their socket), since there is a plug-activated switch on the input to the charger circuitry. As I also said, the same is true of decent isolating shaver sockets (which are 'simple transformers').

Kind Regards, John

Which is successfully bypassed by running a cable to a convenient location. :)

Which is successfully bypassed by running a cable to a convenient location. :)
True, but those who seem to have a concern about these tiny 'standby' loads may not do that :) (at least, if they understand how the switching works!)

Kind Regards, John

It's no different to leaving your phone charger plugged in all the time which I'm sure lots of us are guilty of.

Is that dangerous? I leave my laptop power supply unit plugged in (and turned on) all the time. As long as it isn't connected to the laptop, it remains flat cold.

Edit: Oops, sorry. Just read later comments above!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back