Consumer Unit

Sponsored Links
Several things:

Listed as 'new', but that is most certainly not new, 20+ years old at least.
No overload protection, just an RCD.
Strange design - waterproof cover over the RCD with locking screw, yet the sockets are totally unprotected.

Sponsored Links
Listed as 'new', but that is most certainly not new, 20+ years old at least.
To be fair, eBay's definition of 'new' requires only that it be unused (and still in original packaging, if applicable), and does not preclude an item that was manufactured decades ago (but never yet used)!
No overload protection, just an RCD.
Indeed. It certainly should not be described as a "CU". It appears to be an archaic and very bulky version of an "RCD double socket".
Strange design - waterproof cover over the RCD with locking screw, yet the sockets are totally unprotected.
Indeed - very strange! As has been said, certainly not a 'garden' item!

Kind Regards, John

"New old stock" is the common term. I've just made a whole load of purchases myself through eBay for NOS boxes of switches and receptacles for when I come to rewire through the new house we just moved into a few months ago. Most are 20-plus years old, some nearer twice that, but all good condition in original boxes and better quality than anything available today.

I agree that the assembly in this listing is a little odd though with the regular panel mounted BS1363 sockets but a weatherproof cover on the RCD.

It is a very peculiar form of RCD double socket, which takes on a much smaller form factor these days!

Shame the "eBay Premium Service" awarded to the seller does not extend to good advice.

Very old fashioned and oversized now, but I dare say someone could have a perfect use for it.

Ideal at that price if you just needed a couple of sockets in a small shed, since it's all self-contained. I don't see what's supposed to be a problem with the listing, except perhaps for a slightly garbled subject line. I'd much rather use that older Wylex unit than this newer type, from the same seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111599056328

P.S. O.K., fair enough, it's not a consumer unit in the wiring regs. sense of the term, but we have to allow for the fact that people often include things in eBay subject lines to catch terms that people might search for, even if those people don't really know what the term means themselves.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back