Cheaper boilers - worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know these general questions can be a little annoying but I have been reading through the posts so have a bit of an idea.

I moved into a one bed flat conversion a few months ago and I think that when the house was converted into 2, the ground floor (me) kept existing boiler which is now pretty knackered. Had a reliable plumber (used him before and recommended by a friend) come and have a look and can be fixed but think for the money might as well get new system. To save money I'm looking into buying myself but I'm a total novice!

Are the cheaper boilers worth it? I've seen the phrase you get what you pay for referred to but also the quality of the installer. Only a small flat needing 5 rads and I have a power shower, does that make a difference as opposed to the requirements on a boiler for a 3 bed house? Was in particular thinking of a Biasi system. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Biasi can give you good value for money but if you planning to stay there for more then 3 years then invest in you heating system. ask your installer what he is happy to install and fix.

Biasi are easy enough to fix if you can find some one willing to fix them. Biasi boiler parts are not cheap too buy as well.

I would get a viessmann and find installer that can give you the viessmanns 5 year guarantee.

you get what you pay for :rolleyes:

it is important, when putting an new boiler on an old system, to get the system thoroughly clean. This will contribute to a long and happy life for your new boiler.

Your installer will probably insist on powerflushing the system to get it as clean as he can before fitting the new boiler. However it is impossible to remove all the sediment.

I've used a Magnaclean to collect residual black sludge after cleaning, and been pleased by how much grime it got out. It carries on working indefinitely. the sludge might otherwise have accumulated inside the new boiler

It will cost about £100 extra.

I am not a plumber or a boiler engineer.

Just buy the best you can afford, i would recommend a baxi duo-tec, or platinum, 2 and 5 yr guaraantee respectively, and as said before flush it through(powerflushing is expensive) and fit a magnaclean and a magnetic scale reducer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I expected the "get what you pay for" comments to be the common theme!

My corgi chap did explain about the powerflushing and I know someone that can do this for me but i thought i might as well just buy the whole pack with rads. If i replaced rads, would I still need system flushed?

It all seems rather confusing for something so essential as heating so think I'll go back to plumber for more help...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back