Clarification of part 'p' notification...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone clarify for me whether i am allowed to fit fused spurs in my kitchen?

Am i right in thinking this would be notifiable?

At the moment, my washing-machine and tumble dryer are plugged into sockets and the wires then pass down through notches cut into the back of worktops, which is why i want to tidy things up by adding a couple of fused spurs.

All help/advice gratefully received...

Sponsored Links
Yes, adding a fused spur unit in a kitchen is a notifiable task under part P of the building regs.

OK, too slow :D

'Shocking'...pardon the pun.

3 and 4 minute replies (ty very much)

bearing in mind it is notifiable....

1) How much would it cost me to get a certifiacte out of B.C. ?

2) Would i be better off getting someone with part 'p' to do it?

cheers again...

Sponsored Links
Every LABC is different, possibly cheaper to get someone in to do it, you'll have to make a few phone calls!

Ring your LABC dept or look them up on website and find out their scale of charges for notification.

One council area I work in charge £120

Getting work, you require, done by registered spark will be less than that.

Now if the work had been done 2yrs and one month ago then it wouldn't have been notifiable

Crafty said:
But do consider that having an FCU and a 3-pin socket below introduces 2 fuses of the same rating. Either could blow. It is more common now to have a 20 amp switch above he worktop instead of an FCU.

Looks like I'm out of luck...

According to the LABC surveyor i spoke to today, there are 2 paths to having this work passed:

1) A 'part P' qualified spark can do the work and issue a certificate on it as well.

2) someone who is not 'Part P' qualified but is considered 'competent' can do the work but the LABC surveyor would have to inspect and issue a certificate.

Route one is the only option for several reasons:

1) I am not considered 'competent' in his eyes. The only person considered 'competent' would be a city and guilds qualified electrician who had not yet passed 'Part P'.

2) If a non part p qualified person who is considered competent, carries out the work, the only inspection it receives (according to this LABC surveyor) is whether the wiring is horizontal and vertical.

So i asked the LABC guy what the point of him inspecting it would be, bearing in mind he isnt even checking that the correct earth cabling is used....

"Take it up with the govt." was his reply

So it seems i cant do it myself after all...

I suggest you read the article link provided by RF...

in particular..

LABC Issues

As mentioned above, some LABCs are spreading misinformation, either by accident or design, about the status and acceptability of electrical work done by DIYers or other non-registered people.

These include:

1) Stating that such persons simply cannot carry out notifiable work, and that it must be done by registered electricians. The legislation referenced above, Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004 makes it quite clear that this is not the case. LABCs are not allowed to refuse to process Building Notices submitted by non-registered people.

2) Stating that work carried out by a non-registered person must be inspected and tested by someone who is registered, or who they regard as qualified. Again, there is no mention of this requirement in the statutory instrument.

Recently the DCLG issued a circular to local authorities making it absolutely clear that they are not allowed to do this:

Thanks very much for all the replies.

This is an absolute nightmare. I am definitely getting part p spark to do this. I do not like the idea of LABC effectively lying to me and i certainly wouldnt want to be beholden to them for a certificate.

Once again, thanks to all who replied.

Personally I wouldn't let my LABC behave like that, and would challenge them the facts...

but I can appreciate if someone can't be bothered with the hassle..

ellal said:
Personally I wouldn't let my LABC behave like that, and would challenge them the facts...

I hope you have plenty of time on your hands. As far as the building regs go, the LABC can pretty much do what they like, as they run the show. If you are so principled that you'd be prepared to make a stand then good for you, but don't expect miracles.

dingbat said:
I hope you have plenty of time on your hands. As far as the building regs go, the LABC can pretty much do what they like, as they run the show. If you are so principled that you'd be prepared to make a stand then good for you, but don't expect miracles.

Got the T-shirt... ;)

ellal said:
but I can appreciate if someone can't be bothered with the hassle..

Appreciate what you like mate but as far as im concerned theres no cash or time to be saved arguing the toss on this one.

Feel free to contact Blaby District Council and give them your Victor Meldrew impersonation...

On a more serious note...

DESL, I am interested to know if the gear used approx 2 years and 2 months ago to install a fused spur would differ much from the gear used today...???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back