Coal Gas pipe removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old coal gas supply pipe in the corner of our kitchen, comes up from the floor for about a foot and is capped off.

Would a plumber be able to remove this to floor level or thereabouts, or is there likely to be a good reason it's been left in situ like that?

Sponsored Links
It all depends.

If you know for a fact, and can prove, that it has been disconnected from the gas main in the street, and there is no gas meter in the house, it can be cut off.

At the time it was capped, it was probably live.

I understand it is good practice to cap off old pipes at both ends, as you have no way of knowing when someone will come along and reconnect them.

NG sawed through a rusty old gaspipe in my late grandad's garden

Not realising that a new plastic pipe had been threaded through it.

I would not want a plumber to attack an old gaspipe. Get a gasman.

Have no idea where it goes unfortunately, just disappears into the floor (concrete).

We have a regular gas supply, coming into meter box on the outside wall and then into the house. This is additional to that and I was told it was the old coal gas supply pipe from the 60s and they didn't reuse these pipes when things were switched over to North Sea Gas

Sponsored Links
That does sound like an old service pipe. Get it checked by a gasman. Chances are that it will be dead, but better to check.

I have no intention of cutting the pipe myself. Just trying to clarify if it's even worth getting someone out to look at it.

A gas man is a GasSafe person or something else?

I was told it was a coal gas supply pipe by the GasSafe bod who was fixing the boiler

You should have got him to check it for you while there!

I would charge about £45 to check and grind off to floor level!

Tony

If I'd have been paying him to fix the boiler I might have, but it was being done under warranty.

Useful to know a rough cost.

We've got someone coming in to connect the gas hob when we get round to fitting it and cap off the current gas supply so think I'll just ask them. The old old gas supply was hidden away in a cupboard when they installed the new pipework for the hob so weren't aware of it at the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back