Coil leaking on cylinder - query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaking coil in my hot water tank (small tank is overflowing and big tank constantly filling. when I turn off gate valve it stops).

Would internal leak sealer (Fernox) be of any use to stop this. My mate used it on a leaking rad and it was fine and worked immediately and is still ok now. (nearly 2 years later)

Or will I need to replace the whole tank? I ask as it is awkward to get to (corner of airing cupbaord and behind bath) and will take a while to change, and cost a lot of money! Just wondered if anyone's used sealer on a coil before?

Sponsored Links
Depending on the system and what you have now it may be the time to fit a new combi boiler!

Tony

I have an old conventional system. I don't want to fit a combi, have a 3 bed house and like my stored water!

Sponsored Links
I have used the fernox leak sealer to seal a leak on a coil of a cylinder it worked to, that was about 5 years ago !! However there is a risk , I used it ounce & it blocked the heat ecx on a condensing boiler with it !!

My boiler is older, non condensing, so should be ok then as heat ex's are larger diamater usually. Thanks for your feedback.

I have used the fernox leak sealer to seal a leak on a coil of a cylinder it worked to, that was about 5 years ago !! However there is a risk , I used it ounce & it blocked the heat ecx on a condensing boiler with it !!

Oh lord its a Miracle !

Is your system fully pumped (with cylinder stat) ?

What make/model boiler do you have ?

There are a few building regs to take into consideration when changing a cylinder.

Boiler is Potterton Flamingo.

Cylinder has a Drayto stat I changed it last year as the old one (old ACL Drayton one) was sticking and no hot water was coming on when called to.

Thanks for your help here everyone.

I have a leaking coil in my hot water tank (small tank is overflowing and big tank constantly filling. when I turn off gate valve it stops).

Would internal leak sealer (Fernox) be of any use to stop this. My mate used it on a leaking rad and it was fine and worked immediately and is still ok now. (nearly 2 years later)

Or will I need to replace the whole tank? I ask as it is awkward to get to (corner of airing cupbaord and behind bath) and will take a while to change, and cost a lot of money! Just wondered if anyone's used sealer on a coil before?

The thing to consider with a new cylinder is that the internal coil is bigger than the one in the old cylinder. Because of this the new cylinder can heat up much quicker than the old cylinder does.

One advantage of quicker cylinder recovery is that the householder can often have just as much hot water as before with a physicley smaller cylinder; which you will find easier to get into a tight space.

Tim

ps make sure a new cylinder conforms to Part L (some small ones dont)

the two/three port valves may need to have the wiring alterered.

The three port probably acts as a mid position valve currently but for faster cylinder recovery times the valve needs to be made to direct the water from the boiler to the cylinder only, (when the cylinder is calling for heat)

and to the CH curcuit when the cylinder is heated to its required temp and the room stat is calling for heat, then the valve moves across so the heated water from the boiler only goes to the rads.

The wiring can usually be altered to accomodate this .

Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back