cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 5 radiators in my house. on the upstairs floor one is not working (2 are). it is totally cold (has slowly been giving out less heat for some time and now totally cold) . I have tried bleeding it but it is full of water. Have just bled other radiators upstairs - they had some air in them but the cold one did not. Any ideas? The raditor had microbore pipes attached to it.

Sponsored Links
Shut all the valves down besides the cold rads in turn and switch on CH, turn pump speed up if you can.

Could be blockage/airlock and this should clear it.

There is plenty on the forum about ths kind of problem just search it. :)

Do you have thermostatic radiator valves (ie. with numbers on).

If you do, then the pin in the TRV may have seized. Try removing the head of the TRV and moving the pin up and down with some pliers, but ONLY BY A FEW MILLIMETRES.

If you need help removing the head, please post a photo (of the valve, not yourself..............oh alright post a photo of yourself as well!)

To John
I don't know what you mean by turning the pump up - but will try the other bits cheers

to whitespirit - no there is no trv on this one - I forgot to say that - I had read the other messages that all seemed to be about trvs.But thanks

Sponsored Links
There should be a switch on the pump with 3 speed settings, if its not already on 3 (highest) then turn it up to 3. Shut down all other rads by turning valves off on one end. Full output from pump will then be directed into affected radiator, this will hopefully have the effect of shifting airlock or whatever else is causing the problem and rad should heat up. If this cures issue, open all other rads again, and set pump speed back to original setting. If you still have problems then system may simply require balancing, or may need a more drastic flush if its sludged up.

Can you advise what sort of boiler you have - system (with cylinder) or combi?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back