Cold showers................

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Mira Excel EV shower. It is barely warm :( I've got it cranked up as hot as it will go and it's not doing anything to get hot water through.

If you feel the valve at the wall on the hot side, it's barely warm. I've no idea if checking at the boiler would give me an answer, but if I run the hot tap in the kitchen, one of the pipes gets really hot. If I run the hot tap in the bathroom, that same pipe gets really hot. If I run the shower - none of the pipes get hot.

Can anyone throw some possible causes my way please?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a combi boiler supplying your hot water to taps and shower ?
If so ,your shower may not be allowing sufficient flow to fire up the boiler.

Yeah, it's a combi boiler. It's worked for years, it's only the last week I've had cold showers. I'll go and turn the shower on again though and check if the boiler is firing.

Boiler is definitely firing up, but the water is only mildly warm. Thermostat on the boiler for water is up full as well.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your thermostatic mixer valve isn't blending properly ,how old is it ?

Err it's about 13 years old :oops:

Would that explain why none of the pipework is getting hot though?

You would need to remove the shower from the wall ,to confirm the hot water pipe is flowing unrestricted, check the shower valves filter for cleanliness. If all good the issue is within the valve.

shopping

You are looking at £160 for a new cartridge plus fitting.

Andy

Yeah, I'd had a look and wasn't sure if replacing the cartridge was better than just replacing the shower. For reasons unknown to me, I disconnected the shower hose and then turned the shower on and let it run - and the water was roasting. Is it even possible that a hose could have caused the problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back