Cold water storage tank location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to reposition my cold water storage tank as higher as I can approximately 800mm higher hopefully to increase water pressure, will be 3m away from the original position, does it matter where the tank can go?

Sponsored Links
You need to leave a space between the tank/vent pipe from the roof of at least 350mm at the lowest point of the roof, this is to allow for access and to prevent frost and undue warming.
There should also be access to the tank via crawl/walk boards.

Pretty sure aswell that the vent pipe should be 150mm+22mm for every 1m from where your cold feed from the CWSC enters the cylinder to the water level in your CWSC.

So if you have 3m distance from where your cold feed enters the cylinder to the water level in your CWSC you need 150mm+22mm times 3=216mm minimum distance from the water level in the CWSC to where the vent pipe starts to bend above the tank to create the u shape back down inside the CWSC.

Sponsored Links
Just wondering why aren't the cold storage plastic tank have foam insulation like the copper cylinder?

Also would a 50 gallons tank have more water pressure at the taps than the 25 gallons tank or is it the same pressure regardless what tank size?

Just wondering why aren't the cold storage plastic tank have foam insulation like the copper cylinder?
Also would a 50 gallons tank have more water pressure at the taps than the 25 gallons tank or is it the same pressure regardless what tank size?

When in a loft space The CWSC should be lagged to prevent freezing and undue warming, but depending on placement the underside insulation maybe omitted. Also all pipe work within the loft should also be lagged.
The pressure of yours system is reliant on the head of pressure, not the volume of the cistern.

When in a loft space The CWSC should be lagged to prevent freezing and undue warming, but depending on placement the underside insulation maybe omitted
The CWSC will be approximately 800mm above the ceiling joist, so is it okay to insulate under the plywood of the CWCS? condensation problem on plywood?

I was going to box shuttering around the CWCS with loose fill insulation, overkill?

Just think the CWCS insulation blanket are not very thick unless it's acceptable?

If you was to position the CWSC on plywood straight on the ceiling joists then you should not insulate underneath the plywood because in the colder weather it will rely on heat from below to prevent the water freezing.

Shuttering,insulation and the jacket is a bit overkill in my opinion.

The insulation on the CWSC is not only there to prevent freezing it is also there to prevent the water getting to hot.

The jacket and having the pipes lagged properly should be sufficient.

Something to bear in mind when relocating is that wherever you need to put it the platform that it is sat on should have a load bearing wall underneath to support it.

The insulation on the CWSC is not only there to prevent freezing it is also there to prevent the water getting to hot.

The jacket and having the pipes lagged properly should be sufficient.
Good point, does get very hot in there like a sauna in the summer and maybe a possibility a breeding ground for bacteria(?) Will just use the standard insulation kit.
Something to bear in mind when relocating is that wherever you need to put it the platform that it is sat on should have a load bearing wall underneath to support it.
Will be using the 2 low bearing walls using 9"x 2" joists with supporting posts etc, have done many loft conversions ;)

Where is the head of water pressure taken from, is it from the taps outlet to the bottom of the tank or to the top of water level in the tank?

It is taken from the bottom of the tank to the taps :)
I thought so, the plumber at B&Q was wrong!

One last question! I have the polytank coffin water tank same as below (L 1390mm x W 500mm x H 310mm) Stupid question but I' assumming the ballcock can go anywhere? The diagram showing the ballcock on the end section of the tank which just an example? Also the vent pipe sleeve, the overflow and breather can go anywhere or is it important away from ballcock or whatever other reason?

hmm, now where do I get 27mm and 29mm hole cutter from?!!

388_l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back