Cold water tap has water exploding from it when turned on

Sorry Andy. Couldn't see the reply I made to your questions and now you gave it twice!!

Sponsored Links
There is still a large water tank in the loft. Is that relevant?

Is it full of water and connected with pipes or is it empty and redundant ( if it is too large to get through the hatch redundant tanks often get left in the loft )

There is only one thing that comes to mind regarding the splurting water from the taps which then settles down only to repeat later - "The combi pressure vessel is somehow involved"

Bernard, I think it still has water in it. It is large. In the cupboard where the cistern was, there is a large down pipe with a red turning thing - on and off knob/stopcock? - that is cut off below the red thing. There are two further down pipes that are cut off and one that goes down to lower floor (to where I do not know). SO, I am assuming it is redundant. Is that any help?

Sandi

Sponsored Links
Mr Therm. Thanks for reply.

This sounds promising towards a solution. Why 3 years on though (when my new combI boiler is out of guarantee!).

Do you think it would be prudent if me to get Ideal (the boiler make) in to tackle the combI pressure vessel? Thanks.

Sandi

Ideal would normally only verify their boiler is working o.k - the system pipework and associated equipment needs a thorough check over by a fully experienced skilled tradeserson.

Oh DEAR! That will cost money.... methinks! Ouch! I'll see if I can get the guy who put it in only 3 years ago can do it. Thanks.

Thank you to ALL the kind people who have answered my query, including the jokers! Ha! Ha! You can go and enjoy your whiskies and soda now!

If anyone else has any alternative ideas on the problem, I would be very grateful to hear from you. Thank you.

Bernard, any further ideas apart from the combI pressure vessel needing attention?

Sandi

I very much doubt its a boiler problem, when vented systems are changed to combis not all installers cut out the unneeded pipework and leave deadlegs (unused but still connected pipework) I would hazard a guess that you have a large deadleg somewhere on your pipework causing the problem.

Bernard, any further ideas apart from the combI pressure vessel needing attention?

Unless the "pressure vessel" is an accumulator to boost the cold water supply it is unlikely to be involved with pressure variations on the cold water supply

not all installers cut out the unneeded pipework and leave deadlegs

I agree that dead legs are a possibilty, with air trapped in a vertical dead leg you have an unwanted "pressure vessel". If the installer has left a tank of water with redundant p[ipes still cnnected then heaven knows what else is there.

Ooh. Now I think we are on to something! All this time, I have been asking 'Why now ?' There are several 'deadlegs', as you call them, in the cupboard where the cistern was. I am using this space as an airing cupboard now. Some time ago a duvet caught on one of the deadlegs and pulled it. I remember thinking, 'I hope that hasn't damaged something' and pushed the deadleg back into position. Do you think I might have torn something slightly off whatever it was joined to in the ceiling and caused air to get into the system? Or am I completely off the mark here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back