combi boiler in bathroom ...connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, currently working on an extension where the boiler is to be in the bathroom. What are the current regulations regarding electrical connection?
I'm thinking FCU outside bathroom and final boiler connection via a flex outlet plate.
Is this right??
Cheers Steve

Sponsored Links
Obviously the sparks here are best to advise, but you have got the basics correct.

You will also need to check what rating the boiler is given (ip or something I think it is called :confused: ) then check what zone it is being placed in as to whether it is suitable for that area.

Thankyou for the quick reply . I am not involved in the plumbing just the electrics.
I think the boiler just falls into zone3 (abolished under 17th edition!) but thought it safer to put FCU outside the room.
Its been awhile since I have seen a boiler put in a bathroom , I thought it was illegal !

Conventional flued gas appliances are illegal fitted in bathrooms, but as long as you can meet the electric regs, balanced flue or fanned flued are perfectly ok.

Obviously as a gas fitter I do not know the 17th. I was only just getting my head around bathroom zoning :confused:

Are you saying this has all been changed now?

Sponsored Links
First, is the boiler IPX4 rated? If so, it's suitable for bathroom installation. I would be tempted to put the FCU outside (labelled as to function), with a flexoutlet adjacent to the boiler (if you're working to 7671:2008 you could use 5A plug/socket if it was 3m away horizontally from where Z1 and Z2 meet.

If you use a flex outlet, I would make sure it is min 300mm from a basin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back