combi boiler in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Eventually i'd like to replace the old back boiler in the dining room with a combi boiler in the loft.

What regs are there for having it in the loft? Loft ladder, light etc?

Any tips or advice would be great, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Regs say ladder, light, floor, no danger of falling down the ole including barriers if appropriate.
Sense says frost protection, pressure loss protection (boiler dry-fires if there's a leak) and a pressure gauge down in the house somewhere. Gas isolator is a good idea too.
Can be tricky to get the condensate out.

I guess it will cost a lot more to go up there than on a wall somewhere else, in terms of labour cost?

most of the water pipes arnt far off the loft in the bathroom/airing cupboard below.

The gas pipe would need to be routed to the loft though from under the stairs.

Sponsored Links
It is often no more expensive putting a boiler in the loft as there is less installation costs if there is a gable wall.

Gas can often fo up an outside wall.

Taking up floors and feeding pipes round a kitchen often add to installation costs.

This is particularly the case when pipework is easily available in an upstairs airing cupboard.

Tony

ChrisR said:
Regs say ladder, light, floor, no danger of falling down the ole including barriers if appropriate.
Sense says frost protection, pressure loss protection (boiler dry-fires if there's a leak) and a pressure gauge down in the house somewhere. Gas isolator is a good idea too.
Can be tricky to get the condensate out.

Use an Atmos boiler which doesn't need a condensate pipe.

These Atmos boilers, they send the condensate into the flue and discharge it that way? Sounds a good idea, one question though, surely the temperature of the flue gases is not sufficient to vaporise the condense, so there`d still be liquid from the flue. Is that the case or not? Intrigued, that`s all. :confused:

It is often no more expensive putting a boiler in the loft as there is less installation costs if there is a gable wall.

I'd be buggerred then! Live in a mid terrace!

Even a vertical flue kit only adds about £200 extra. Much less if they can do it from inside the loft.

I have seen this after its been done but I dont see how they can do it adequately as I would always need access to the roof but then I give a full guarantee that it will not leak!

In a small terrace the space saving in a small kitchen often outweighs the extra cost and convenience of fitting the boiler in a loft and keeping the kitchen for cooking.

Tony

except if you have to get a scaffold as per working at height regs agile?

then its vvvvvvv expensive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back