Combi supplying a shower with hot water

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your point about possible cold water shock leading to cardiac arrest in the shower is way over the top

http://www.port.ac.uk/department-of-sport-and-exercise-science/staff/prof-mike-tipton.html
Professor Mike Tipton said:
‘Cold water shock is one of the biggest stresses that you can place the body under. Cold water kills and it kills quickly.’

Read this article

http://magazine.rnli.org/Article/Cold-water-shock-A-bolt-from-the-blue-125

Bear in mind that Shirley Robertson was expecting to be immersed into cold water from ambient room temperature and was wearing a wet suit. Her skin temperature was reduced slower than had the water been applied directly to her skin. ""‘As soon as the water went down my neck I went into cold water shock instantly,’""

Cold shock in a shower involves a hot steamy atmosphere and hot water on the skin changing into cold water which is direct onto the naked skin and is un-expected.

Sponsored Links
Read this article

http://magazine.rnli.org/Article/Cold-water-shock-A-bolt-from-the-blue-125

Bear in mind that Shirley Robertson was expecting to be immersed into cold water from ambient room temperature and was wearing a wet suit. Her skin temperature was reduced slower than had the water been applied directly to her skin. ""‘As soon as the water went down my neck I went into cold water shock instantly,’""

Cold shock in a shower involves a hot steamy atmosphere and hot water on the skin changing into cold water which is direct onto the naked skin and is un-expected.

No mention of combi boilers in that link. And no mention on the hse website either.
Mebbe they should get Ant Middleton to do a shower test with Bernard turning on and off the hot taps.
And if that fails to put him down just dunk him with a bucket of iced water.:D

Last edited:
No mention of combi boilers in that link. And no mention on the hse website either.

There is no need to specifically mention combi boilers, there are other reasons why a shower can suddenly and un-expectedly go cold.

Search the HSE website for. vasoconstriction and you should find more information about cold shock and it's effect on the human body.

But you're getting a bee in your senile bonnet over combi boilers.

Using personal insults does not do anything to prove your opinion is the better opinion. It might however say something about you personality

Not some Doris jumping in a bath of coldish water.

No it is not the same at all. If Doris jumps into cold water then she is expecting to become cold and her body is already preparing for sudden vasoconstriction to occur.

Google doesn't access coroners records. They make interesting reading.

Sponsored Links
I think she's more likely to slip over and break her neck!
If jumping yes, if standing under a shower over a bath then when cold water shock occurs she may collapse and crack her head open when it hits the bath taps or other hard surface.

If it was an issue the hse would have legislation implemented that would make it mandatory to pipe the hot supply from the combi direct to the shower and a divertor valve fitted that's cuts the hot supply to the rest of the house.
Then doris would only suffer cold shock to her hands if she was at the sink washing her hands when someone swung the divertor valve to have a shower.

When I'm in my shower and someone opens a tap elsewhere in the house, or flushes a loo, all I experience is a slight drop in flow rate and, if I'm paying extreme attention, maybe a slight change in temp for about 10 seconds.
Hell of a lot better than getting into the shower to remove the work dirt of the day, to find that all the hot water has been used up by the rest of the family!

I think it's highly likely that some deaths have been caused by the sudden shock and slip in a shower.

There's a lot of things you can do to prevent slips and falls.
Like fit a level access shower wet room with non slip tiles on the floor and safety grab rails fitted to strategic locations. And a full DocM toilet package.
Did that for my Dad last year after he had his triple by pass.
I would consider that the first priority for someone vulnerable then consider the water system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernard's assertion that the human mind has nomic control over the cardiovascular system?
Not my assertion, a fact that is recognised by the medical profession.

Adrenaline being produced for effective fight or flight being the most well known reaction of the body when danger presents. The person doesn't conciously think about whether to turn on the adrenaline. Other hormones are produced in response to sensations received by any of the five senses to prepare the body to act in the most appropriate way.

In context of cold water shock if the person is aware they are going to be come suddenly cold then levels of adrenaline and other hormones will be elevated before the event to protect the body from the effects of cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back