Combination Microwave Plug in ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking at a Panasonic Combination Microwave (microwave/oven/grill). It comes with a standard 3 pin plug and so you immediately assume you just plug it in. However, we noted that the plug is fused at 15 amp. The microwave has a total electric rating of 3 kw except that you cannot have all 3 bits on at the same time and so you will not reach that load.
Are we OK to just plug this microwave into the kitchen ring circuit, we expect that most people will do exactly that without giving it a second thought?
Perhaps we just need to change the plug fuse to 13 amp if we plug it into the ring main?

Any thoughts on this one? Thanks

Sponsored Links
We are looking at a Panasonic Combination Microwave (microwave/oven/grill). It comes with a standard 3 pin plug and so you immediately assume you just plug it in. However, we noted that the plug is fused at 15 amp.
Are you sure of that? Plug fuses above 13A should not exist. Any chance of a photo of the fuse and plug??
The microwave has a total electric rating of 3 kw except that you cannot have all 3 bits on at the same time and so you will not reach that load. .... Perhaps we just need to change the plug fuse to 13 amp if we plug it into the ring main?
It ought to have a 13A fuse in the plug, but then should be fine.

Kind Regards, John

Hello,
Thank you for your comments, we have not actually bought it yet, still looking and so cannot send pictures. The Panasonic on-line users guide says it has a 15 amp fuse but maybe something got lost in translation! Sounds like it will be OK with a 13 amp fuse we will check before use.
Many thanks for your help.

Thank you for your comments, we have not actually bought it yet, still looking and so cannot send pictures. The Panasonic on-line users guide says it has a 15 amp fuse but maybe something got lost in translation! Sounds like it will be OK with a 13 amp fuse we will check before use.
Yes, it sounds as if something is not as clear as it should be! Can you post a link to the on-line user guide?

If it comes with a fitted plug, that will (presumably!) have a 13A fuse in the plug, which would be fine to plug into a socket.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I wonder if the instructions are not intended for the UK e.g. 110v US?

I wonder if the instructions are not intended for the UK e.g. 110v US?
If the OP indicates where we can look at the instructions, we might be able to tell. If the instructions related to use with a 110V supply, a 15A fuse would not be adequate (and, of course, they do not have plugs with fuses).

Kind Regards, John

More likely the instructions are intended for our (soon to be ex) friends sur-le-continent where 15 and 16amp circuits are the norm.

Exact model number, or link to the instructions needed!

More likely the instructions are intended for our (soon to be ex) friends sur-le-continent where 15 and 16amp circuits are the norm.
One might have thought so, but the OP was under the impression that it came with a 'standard 3-pin plug' (which I took to mean a UK BS1363 plug).
Exact model number, or link to the instructions needed!
Quite so.

Kind Regards. John

If it has a 15 fuse and a British style plug fitted then it cannot possibly comply with CE requirements. :oops:

If it has a 15 fuse and a British style plug fitted then it cannot possibly comply with CE requirements. :oops:
That is obviously true, but I don't really believe that is a correct statement of the actual situation. After all, we're talking about a very reputable manufacturer!

Kind Regards, John

Hello,
Goodness I had not expected to create so much interest, thank you all.
The instruction guide is @ https://www.panasonicstore.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/NNCF853-873.pdf
The model is NN-CF853, the plug in section is on page 9, it shows a picture of a British style plug and it talks about a fuse to BS standard, by my calculation the load in use will always be within that suitable for a 13 amp fuse and so I think it will be OK to run with a 13 amp fuse in the plug. I guess we need to get hold of the oven and check the plug and fuse?
Thank you all.

They mention 15 amp four times!! :eek:

Ahh, I've found the problem, on page 144......

sdbsdbsb.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back