15amp microwave

I think I can agree with JohnD about trying it on a 13 amp plug.

13 amps will provide almost 3 Kwatt off power and if the microwave is only 75% efficient then there will be more than 2 Kwatts of cooking power.

Which is a lot for a domestic microwave.

Sponsored Links
Thank you JohnD.

if it has to be wired in I would definately be using an electrician.

Do you think that if I use just the microwave bit and a 13amp plug that this would be too much?

its an older neff microwave combi oven.

We do plenty of work in commercial kitchens, they often have 15amp microwaves - actually something like 14.4 is on the rating plate.

I have seen these on plug tops before when some chef has taken delivery and decided to take matters into his own hands. They run for some time before we get there to install a cct.

However.

I would NOT contemplate running it through a 13amp plug if it was me. It is clearly not designed for it (did it come with plug......NO!). The rating is given as greater than 13amp, bit of a give away :rolleyes:

Do the job correctly. A microwave is a single device. The diversity guidelines are for a cooker circuit supplying a traditional cooker with grill, oven and four rings. The other diversity guide is based on combined circuits, and not individual circuits.

so what sort of price would I be looking at to get this installed by an electrician? the new fuse box is in the cupboard next to the oven housing.

Sponsored Links
Assuming there is a spare way in the CU I can't imagine it being much more than the electrians minimum charge, how much that will be will depend hugely on where you live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back