Commercial - Electric vs Mixed Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I'm looking to open a commercial fitness space in London which will have 2 shower rooms (one shower in each room). Currently there's only toilets and sinks so would be creating showers from nothing. I'm being told electric will be easier and cheaper to install. But every electric shower I've been in during my life has been so disappointing. It either doesn't get hot enough, or when you do get the temperature up it reduces itself to a piddle and eventually runs out in a few minutes anyway. The mixer shower will need a new boiler and tank installed as currently it's not big enough to heat 2 showers.

Is it really going to be that much more expensive to install 2 mixer showers instead in the long run? I know the boiler will cost around 2k and i've been told a tank may cost 1k. The water pipes will be directly next to where the shower rooms will be created.

My worry is being stuck with 2 awful electric showers or getting caught in an endless loop of replacing them until if/when I find one that doesn't have awful pressure when at a good heat. The building also doesn't have heating, so I'm worried in the winter the showers will be stone cold because the units won't be able to heat the showers enough.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
But every electric shower I've been in during my life has been so disappointing. It either doesn't get hot enough, or when you do get the temperature up it reduces itself to a piddle and eventually runs out in a few minutes anyway.
They are all like that - attempting to heat water on demand with electricity will always result in a very limited flow rate.

Stored hot water is the only viable option, particularly as you will need it for the basins/sinks anyway.

The building also doesn't have heating,
Surely you will be installing some?

Thanks for getting back! It's only a small space that will usually have 6-10 people in at max so heating/cooling isn't a priority.

Yeah there's nothing worse than getting sweaty then not feeling clean enough from a horrible, dribbly shower. My builder is convinced otherwise but i think he's just trying to save me some cash

Sponsored Links
You wouldl also need to have your electricity supply checked to ensure it has enough current carrying capacity to add 2 electric showers to any other load you might have. If you had to upgrade the supply it would probably be cheaper going down the new gas boiler route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back