Communal Boiler Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of letting a contract to replace two Beeston boilers with two Potterton FS 130 Sirius condensing boilers with a indivdual nominal heat input of 135.52Kw in a block of 18 flats consisting of 30 bedrooms.

I understand that under a European Directive for Energy Effiency we are required to fit TRV's in all rooms bar the room with the room thermostat and a motorised valve at the inlet to each flat off the risers.

If you know of this legislation can you please post a link.

Sponsored Links
Yes you are.
But will anyone check. No.

Will anyone care. No.

Assuming 5 radiators per flat. So my rough estimate says you only need
90kW.

I would have thought there should be programmers a wall thermostat
and motorised valve in each flat so they can call for heat independently anyway.

Thanks and yes I care as Company Director (voluntary) with energy prices rising all the time it would be good for the residents to control their heat requirements, over half of which are tenants who just pay a fixed rent and get the heating and hot water thrown in.

Apart from some TRV's (not all flats)added since the system install in 1978 there are NO local controls. Some tenants think they are living in the tropics having 10 baths a day! :rolleyes:

In that type of install an oudoor sensor will be the most costeffective way of making energy savings...

Sponsored Links
I would be very suprised if the old system did not incorporate Weather Compensation, it has been very common for large scale installs since the 1950's !!

Forget 90 Kw, as that has not accounted for hot Water demand whcih is probably huge!! Modern Condensing boilers are generaly fully modulating meaning they match heat input to prevailing load ;)

true Dan, it is an issue in soggy britain...

nothing new about weather comp that true...

Very, and as you know from the various goings on in the CC I am perfectly happy with WC.

Problem is, on a communal system, soggy Britain or not, it is not practical to force it onto 18 separate dwellings with various comings and goings of residents.

Wonder what 18 difference mixing valves and adjustable controls would come to? :LOL:

Well the artist`s studio where Ms. naked muse languishes - that`ll need heating right up :p . and it`ll probably have a large glass area - could we have a pic. ?

I assumed that there was one controller for the whole building and one boiler, all I am suggesting is they replace the boiler with weather comp acting on the boiler...keeping it simple...

Simple yes, like a lot of 50 year old tech.
Ms N-M, it's odd individuals' obsession, but it may not suit your users, as Dan points out.
Occupiers tend to complain when they can't get their radiators hot. It's routine to find all TRVs on max, or removed or broken off.

Pleasing everyone, as well as yourself, will be difficult. Depends how much you want to:
spend
confuse everyone
save energy
reduce complaints
oh - and satisfy the regs.

I don't think any one is obsessed with weather comp chris...its a sensible way to run a boiler as it varies the heat input into the building in relation to the heat required. Its actually very simple...

Not knowing how the system is currently controlled what anyone says is a shot in the dark...anyway

I understand that under a European Directive for Energy Effiency we are required to fit TRV's in all rooms bar the room with the room thermostat and a motorised valve at the inlet to each flat off the risers.

If you know of this legislation can you please post a link.

See Approved Document L1B - Existing Buildings and Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide.

There is, generally, no legal requirement to bring a building up to current standards; though they do suggest installing TRVs when the boiler is being replaced as water will have been drained from the system. See "Supplementary Information" on page 24 of the Guide.

You would be crazy not to include weather compensation on this project. Naturally, include a zone valve for each flat and TRVs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back