Communal Boiler Replacement

Sponsored Links
Evinox is definitely top of the range stuff..but not cheap...they monitor the equipment remotely too...

This isn't he only company to do this I think. I'm increasingly seeing these installations in blocks.

Of course the best way to achieve fuel savings, and one that we have failed to mention thus far is

Install a Heat Meter at each flat, so the tennants pay for what they use!!
that would probably save at least 35% per year!" ;)

Sponsored Links
I don't think any one is obsessed with weather comp chris
I would say if an odd person goes on ad nauseam with misleading opinion and unjustifiable assertions about it, whether it's appropriate to the original query or not, that's obsessive behaviour.

It doesn't suit every installation by a long way. I can point to several thousand, as I've described before. This is evidently outside your experience.
Fine for a few - surprisingly few.

It depends on the of the owner and their objectives. It should never be an automatic answer, but for the odd person, it is.

If more people thought it was always "sensible", its market penetration would be higher than the tiny percentage it is.

It's easy to describe a situation where it's inappropriate, and this could be one of them.

so how do they cope in countries where the outdoor sensor is mandatory?

They suffer the consequences of politicians' interference.

We don't live in that country. It's irrelevant.

Install a Heat Meter at each flat, so the tennants pay for what they use!!
that would probably save at least 35% per year!"
Good idea! I've seen timers connected to flats' zone valves, not done it though.

yea but the heat stations cost almost as much as an independent boiler...it all gets a bit expensive though!

A timer ( incrementing hour-meter) costs under £100, and simple to fit.
You can charge in proportion to the time each user's system is calling for heat.
Mount outside the flat for reading, + discourages tampering.

Wow thats all good stuff guys, the potterton boilers are in now and working and heating the 18 flats nicely, however, we are suffering from a critcal drop in pressure every 5 days on average causing the boiler (only one on at mo) to go off. Any Ideas? The boilers have been connected to the existing system of pipes serving 18 flats and are 33 years old. There are no reported water leaks from the system. Someone suggested fitting an automatic top up. This would stop the interruption of service but does not solve loss of pressure.

I assume that your heating system previuosly had a Feed and Expansion tank at the top of the building. The system has probably been sealed during the boiler installation, the expansion would then be taken up by a vessel with a diaphragm with a pre cahrge of air pressure on the other side. This has to be adequately sized to avoid problems.
A system of this size would also have an automatic pressurisation set fed from a water meter.
Sounds like you might have some bits missing from your plant room. CAn you post a picture?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back