Compact Flourescent Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a strange problem with some recently installed PL9 compact flouro brick lights.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLBRICK.html

These have been installed in the inside wall in our conservatory. There are 6 in total wired in 1.5mm 3core cable total length 12m. When they are initially switched on they remain on for approx 45 seconds then they all go out at once. If the switch is turned off then on, they will all light up again and stay on until turned off. The power is supplied from a Switched FCU coming off the downstairs RCD protected ring main. The RCD doesn't trip or anything, just the lights will go out.

Any ideas what may be causing this.

Thanks,

Nic.....

Sponsored Links
If they really all do go out at once, and it sounds like this is when they have only just warmed up to near max brightness, then it has to be something common to all lamps affected. I'd suspect the switch or its wiring..
Is it easy, for test, to loop out the feed to the furthest light, and temporarily put a flex and normal lampholder (or a trailing socket and table lamp)and see that a filament lamp exhibits the same effect? that would eliminate the possibility any electronic hankypanky is occuring between the inverters in the PL9 lamps (there is significant electronics in the gubbbins, that I suppose might, but only just be shocked by some transient into ceasing to oscillate. Otherwise its down to the tedious business of checking connections and continuity.
If it is electronic lamps only affected, I'd be very interested to know what make of bulb.

MAPJ1,

Thanks for the input. Yes, good idea about putting a filament lamp on the end of the circuit. This I will try. I expect it is some effect on the electronics causing this to happen as you describe. I'm pretty sure the switch and circuit are fine. It seems odd that the lamps behave as they should when switched back on again.

BTW the lamps are branded Sylvania PL9W. Would another brand be less susceptical [sp] or maybe even trying a set of PL7W ? It's not really a problem to turn them off then on again, just bloomin annoying that they don't work as they should!

let us know how you get on. I've heard nothing bad about syvania lamps as such... yet :confused:

Sponsored Links
Probably a daft question, but did you install the entire circuit from scratch, or use one already there that you identified as coming off the ring main via that FCU?

It's just that this behaviour could be due to a PIR being in the circuit....

Just to update you on this problem. It was a dodgy FCU switch. It was not making good contact on the "phase" contact (DP switch) - replaced with a decent MK one now and all's good. It was a tricky b*****r to locate the problem - until I heard a very feint "arcing" sound from the switch about 45 seconds after switch on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back