Comparison with the 70's. Split from old thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm one of us who can remember how bad things got in the 70's. Power stations on strike so folk were using candles to light their houses (you couldn't buy a Tilley type camping light or paraffin lantern for love nor money they sold out completely). So candles were causing house fires which burnt down as the fireman were on strike. Gravediggers on strike, same for the posties, railways, lorry drivers etc. etc. the country was in meltdown. This is nowt by comparison.

Sponsored Links
I'm one of us who can remember how bad things got in the 70's. Power stations on strike so folk were using candles to light their houses (you couldn't buy a Tilley type camping light or paraffin lantern for love nor money they sold out completely). So candles were causing house fires which burnt down as the fireman were on strike. Gravediggers on strike, same for the posties, railways, lorry drivers etc. etc. the country was in meltdown. This is nowt by comparison.

The good old days.

Me too. The difference today is that 12 sectors are out as compared 8 in '78. But the effects were more noticeable.

The power cuts started late '73, IIRC. I don't remember power cuts in '78/9.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
At least the music was good in the 70s

Sponsored Links
There were power cuts during the 72 miners strike IIRC

Blup

Hospital caterers went on strike

People had to take food into the hospital for relatives

Under takers went on strike

Refuse collectors on strike fear of a cholera out break due to rubbish piling up in the street

Transport union came out on strike demanding 50% (?) pay increase

When I lived in Stratford, I remember walking about one evening with a few mates in the very early seventies during a power cut and as we walked past the Lyon’s tea house in the High Street, someone had locked up but left the keys in the door! We opened up, went in and helped ourselves to cake and biscuits. We locked up after we went and kept the keys for later use but next time we tried it they had changed the lock.

we used to sit around a candle to stay warm and when it was really cold we lit it .

Our local woolies still had gas lights connected so when the power cuts came they stayed open no electric needed for the tills in those days

Yes. All sorts of atrocious attitudes in all areas.

But it's slowly getting sorted.

The biggest difference is how strikes are organised: now you've got to have a 60%(?) majority in favour of strike action and the governments new proposals will make it even harder to co-ordinate any future strikes.

Unlike the miners strike when it was just a show of hands that clearly said no strike action, only to be followed with Scargill saying vote carried everyone out with bemused faces everywhere in the crowd

Unlike the miners strike when it was just a show of hands that clearly said no strike action, only to be followed with Scargill saying vote carried everyone out with bemused faces everywhere in the crowd
I know. One out: All out. Solidarity, Brother.
When the patternmakers went on strike in my first year i used to enjoy a bacon butty and a chat as i went in to work. Nothing beats a brazier-made butty.

Where & when was this?

Sponsored Links
Back