Comparison with the 70's. Split from old thread

Same as me, I like most things, even the popular classical, opera, even Wagner.

I will have to say, there has been not been nearly has much quality produced over recent decades.

The world of classical music is so vast, yet it gets written off by most. There are some incredibly evocative pieces out there.

I think I buck the trend for my interest and actually found it quite difficult at school music-wise. The other week we stuck TOTP February 1968 on a Friday night. It was a totally random pick, but nearly every song was (in my opinion) brill! Of course music evolves and was never destined to stay like this, but much (not all) of today's music is so manufactured it's become talentless.

Sponsored Links
The world of classical music is so vast, yet it gets written off by most. There are some incredibly evocative pieces out there.

Yep, but just as with the modern stuff, some of it is rubbish to my ears. I remember in primary school, they would have sessions where they would have groups of us sat on the floor, in the what seemed to be massive school hall, to play the classics to us. Records brought in by teachers. I don't think I appreciated so much then, as I would now. The school once took us on a trip, to a recital from one of the big national orchestras, Halle I think - that was the most moving musical experience I have ever had.

My own musical talent is zero, I once tried to learn to play a guitar, but was hopeless, despite my liking for music. All I can say, is that my ear allows me to know what I like and do not like. I sometimes play a game of picking out and trying to identify individual instruments, in a piece of music, and trying to just concentrate on them.

All this talk of the coal industry as it was has reminded me of the other nationalised industries. British Rail was a den of thieves. An example was the Carriage and Wagon Works and the Loco Works in Derby. Brand new aluminium sheeting would arrive at the works at 8 am and by midday it was down the scrapyard sold off. Everyone was in on it from managers downwards. Brand new socket sets were easily available in certain pubs that had been purloined from the railway order books. Almost anything you wanted.
i had a freind who was a fitter at saint rollox who i lost touch with and happened to bump into him around mid to late 70s at kings cross and he was by then and derby works and the only bit off the conversation i could remeber was many houses and use off BR blue' buffer beam red and warning panel yellow woodwork i think his name was mick mcmanus[incase its a small world lol] but i may have that bit wrong

Sponsored Links
When I lived in Stratford, I remember walking about one evening with a few mates in the very early seventies during a power cut and as we walked past the Lyon’s tea house in the High Street, someone had locked up but left the keys in the door! We opened up, went in and helped ourselves to cake and biscuits. We locked up after we went and kept the keys for later use but next time we tried it they had changed the lock.

Tea leaf!

When it comes to the '70s though, it just seems to me like it was either greasy blokes with long hair trudging out the same rock chords (I'm thinking Mud and Status Quo)

Nowt wrong with a bit of Quo. :cool: And I still have long, not so greasy hair.

Apart from a couple of their big hits, Floyd were the biggest yawn going. Much better with some Sabbath, Motorhead, Zeppelin or Uriah Heep.

Bloody Philistine!

Last edited:
Nowt wrong with a bit of Quo. :cool: And I still have long, not so greasy hair.

Apart from a couple of their big hits, Floyd were the biggest yawn going. Much better with some Sabbath, Motorhead, Zeppelin or Uriah Heep.

Bloody Philistine!

I knew I'd miss a few! Granted -- there were some great bands who still churn out some great stuff, but when I think "the '70s" I just think of the absolute rubbish the masses were buying in the charts. My Dad and his brother were polar opposites during the whole mod/rocker scene in the '60s so that's probably influenced me!

Back