Comparison with the 70's. Split from old thread

Sponsored Links
Unlike the miners strike when it was just a show of hands that clearly said no strike action, only to be followed with Scargill saying vote carried everyone out with bemused faces everywhere in the crowd

Where & when was this?

it was on every news programme at the time you may find clips on you tube

Give us a clue

So that's a no then

Not that I've looked particularly hard, but I cant find any reference to Scargill ignoring a show of hands, I don't doubt for a moment it happened. What does come up even on BBC News is that Scargill vetoed a ballot of the miners on the question of if they wanted to strike or end the strike, far worse in my opinion.

Scargill was eventually hated by his own union after clinging onto his grace and favour flat in London, big legal case back in the day.

Even Neil Kinnock eventually admitted to hating Scargill.

The person who probably hated Scargill the most was the wife/girlfriend of David Wilkie, the Welsh taxi driver who was taking a 'scab' to work, until a couple of Scargill's henchmen lobbed a concrete block off a motorway bridge killing him outright.

Sorry crystal, but you creaming your pants over Scargill is, no matter how much you hate the Tories, just a teeny bit sick in my opinion.

So that's a no then
try looking harder you may find it also read up about how the strike was voted for with one region using a vote from several years before it all makes interesting reading how scargill first shat on the normal miner and continued to shyte on the num taking them for a fortune despite them getting rid of him

Does that include The Bay City Rollers? I like to remind my sister occasionally of her wearing a tartan scarf around her wrist and getting my mother to sew a tartan band on the bottoms of the legs of her flared jeans. She cringes about it.
Then there's Prog Rock. I remember the sixth form barclays bankers at my grammar school walking down the corridor holding copies of 'Tales of Topographic Oceans'. Oh dear.
I love 70s music. It really takes me back there, very powerful.

Talking of which, I thought a lot of Prog Rock was good, especially Wonderous Stories and Yes in particular. Rick Wakeman is an absolute legend, Dave Bowie too.

Also great were CSNY, Bread, Chicago amongst many others, too numerous to mention.

Sponsored Links
here is an interesting wee programme on scargill.

Last edited:
no one has mentioned the sourest strike forget red robbo and scargil whilst both a bit important you forget the absolute worst catastrophe----- the sugar shortage off 74 ----- mind you it allowed me to wean off sugar in coffee in about 3 weeks

:unsure:

I love 70s music. It really takes me back there, very powerful.

Talking of which, I thought a lot of Prog Rock was good, especially Wonderous Stories and Yes in particular. Rick Wakeman is an absolute legend, Dave Bowie too.

Also great were CSNY, Bread, Chicago amongst many others, too numerous to mention.
ooo fuuuuccckk yes yes yes
bowie yes rick wakeman yes jon anderson ian anderson yes jethro tull yes relayer yes an wonderous story pure magic
:giggle:

Last edited:
Not that I've looked particularly hard, but I cant find any reference to Scargill ignoring a show of hands, I don't doubt for a moment it happened. What does come up even on BBC News is that Scargill vetoed a ballot of the miners on the question of if they wanted to strike or end the strike, far worse in my opinion.

Scargill was eventually hated by his own union after clinging onto his grace and favour flat in London, big legal case back in the day.

Even Neil Kinnock eventually admitted to hating Scargill.

The person who probably hated Scargill the most was the wife/girlfriend of David Wilkie, the Welsh taxi driver who was taking a 'scab' to work, until a couple of Scargill's henchmen lobbed a concrete block off a motorway bridge killing him outright.

Sorry crystal, but you creaming your pants over Scargill is, no matter how much you hate the Tories, just a teeny bit sick in my opinion.
I asked a simple question, as I was out of the country during the strike I have little first hand knowledge of it, if you like to fantasise about other blokes ejaculating feel free, it takes all sorts.

try looking harder you may find it also read up about how the strike was voted for with one region using a vote from several years before it all makes interesting reading how scargill first shat on the normal miner and continued to shyte on the num taking them for a fortune despite them getting rid of him
You made the claim, its only correct that you support it, I have little knowledge of the strike as explained.

You made the claim, its only correct that you support it, I have little knowledge of the strike as explained.
its not a claim its what happened and if you think im trolling the internet for a news story from 38 years ago you like scargill are living in cloud cuckoo land

its not a claim its what happened and if you think im trolling the internet for a news story from 38 years ago you like scargill are living in cloud cuckoo land
Ok you keep making unsubstantiated claims, no problem.

Sponsored Links
Back