Compression fittings.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just back from a job, leak on a compression fitting; some tw.t had used PTFE instead of Boss White on the olive??!!!

Sponsored Links
I remember when I started as an apprentice we got to a job and the boss white tin had got lost on the way (fallen off the back of a bike!:p) so the fitter used flux to make the threaded joints on a gas supply!:eek: I often wonder how well it held up:confused:

Is this a joke thread? Why should we put Boss White (or PTFE) on an olive? Doesn't the olive create the seal?

Nobody uses Boss White any more Puller, it's not WRAS approved :p

Sponsored Links
One that uses decent copper olives and doesn't overtighten everything.

Will get a leak, as it's a metal to metal joint & needs joint paste.
A little mechanical movement will also result in a leak - copper or brass olive.

One that uses decent copper olives and doesn't overtighten everything.

Will get a leak, as it's a metal to metal joint & needs joint paste.
A little mechanical movement will also result in a leak - copper or brass olive.
I disagree but this argument has been done to death, and you're ***********

Last edited by a moderator:
Yorkshire kuterlite say use a light oil on the threads and ptfe sealant if necessary with R250 tube and recommends using ptfe sealants with steel and stainless tube with tape as an alternative.
I use Jet lube V2 plus which is WRAS approved for potable/non potable , is a soft setting, non-petroleum based thread sealant for use on metal, plastic (non-ABS), threaded connections for water, bottled and mains gas, compressed air, oils, fuels, refrigerants and most other liquid and gaseous chemicals.

Last edited:
Remember , Hemp still allowed for gas . But only on that one fitting ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back