Compression fittings.

try your method on a 54mm comp fitting and get back to me..
It isn't my method, it is Kuterlite's method.

Over the years I have made quite a few compression joints ( including fully pumbed two houses ) and I can only recall having to re-make one or two of them. I have seen several leaky joints in one house plumbed by professional's using PTFE tape in compression joints.

the armchair googlers
As I was making sucessfull compression joints long before the internet was set up it could not be google knowledge that taught me.

Sponsored Links
Hey puller , next they'll be saying a smear of paste isn't necessary on a ground faced union......:)

So what do you suggest when the fitting supplied utilises a brass olive???

Use a copper olive if the manufacturer of the fitting agrees that copper can be used.

Hey puller , next they'll be saying a smear of paste isn't necessary on a ground faced union......:)
Now your desire to ridicule has taken you away from the topic of tape, paste or nothing on compression joints using olives and off into a totally different type of joint

It isn't my method, it is Kuterlite's method.

Over the years I have made quite a few compression joints ( including fully pumbed two houses ) and I can only recall having to re-make one or two of them. I have seen several leaky joints in one house plumbed by professional's using PTFE tape in compression joints.

As I was making sucessfull compression joints long before the internet was set up it could not be google knowledge that taught me.
So when and where did you acquire Kuterlite training??.....where is it referenced regarding the use of oil on Kuterlite threads????

Sponsored Links
non-pasted compression joints may hold up well initially, but come any movement (cutting in tee's etc) leads to an indoor water feature very quickly in my experience.

When I see the white tape poking out of a compression joint, my heart sinks. Not just for the joints, but the rest of 'Dafty diy'er' (copyrite Sir Dickie) installation.

Just my experience, and two old pennies worth.

non-pasted compression joints may hold up well initially, but come any movement (cutting in tee's etc) leads to an indoor water feature very quickly in my experience.

When I see the white tape poking out of a compression joint, my heart sinks. Not just for the joints, but the rest of 'Dafty diy'er' (copyrite Sir Dickie) installation.

Just my experience, and two old pennies worth.
....and here we have another member who does this for a living who uses paste on comp joints.....jeez we must be doing something wrong...

It's amazing how old wives tales perpetuate over the years isn't it.

You're not doing any harm do it's no big deal.

Over the years I have made quite a few compression joints ( including fully pumbed two houses )

@Steelmasons you just got owned son, come back when you've fully pumbed at LEAST two houses.

You might be able to run with the big boys then :whistle:

Nothing wrong with paste or a wrap of ptfe round the olive, either works so who gives a f00k?

It's amazing how old wives tales perpetuate over the years isn't it.

You're not doing any harm do it's no big deal.
Who the hell are you to advise???
Just be nice Steelmasons.

Perhaps if you hadn't wasted all that money on jointing compound over the years you could have upgraded that pokey 3-bed semi! ;)

(Just a guess, no stalking)

Just be nice Steelmasons.

Perhaps if you hadn't wasted all that money on jointing compound over the years you could have upgraded that pokey 3-bed semi! ;)

(Just a guess, no stalking)
Eh???

The mating face between fitting and olive is not always true so a smear of paste is required.
I find it amazing when the armchair googlers disagree with the professionals that actually do this for a living.:rolleyes:...try your method on a 54mm comp fitting and get back to me..
There's no chance these rsoles have ever been swinging on a set of 36s Steely, they're full of shyte!!
Please stop calling me ********* , I have been polite.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Boss white, Hawk white, Jet blue....or whatever you want to call it.....maybe its that white tape, some say that its initials mean 'plumbers tape for everything'......lol
dab a bit on the threads of the joints not on the olive to create a false seal that will fail over time.

Ground faced unions Steely? Navy unions all the way!

Then there is the old fashioned approach of using gloss paint and cotton when winding in long screws & back nuts into a Galvy water tank, sorry Cistern!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back