computer server in main switchroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, dont know if anyone can help me out here.

A friend of mine is an industrial engineer and has asked me the following question:

What would be the implications of fitting a terminal server in the same room as the main swithroom (in an industrial unit)

I.E.

1) is there any legal reason why a computer server cannot be sited in the same room that holds the incoming mains supply (3 phase)

2) what are the implications with magnetic fields?

Any help or advice you could give would be useful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This is a DIY forum, so not the best place to ask this question, however, there is no legal restriction on what is placed in a switchroom EXCEPT, it must not block free access to any equipment, must not be combustable, must not contain flammable or exposive liquids or gases, must not be used for general storage and MUST be kept locked shut at all times.

Further, any person having access to this switchroom should be a qualified electrician or a person deemed competent to enter this room due to the hazards posed.

Regarding magnetic fields, I think these will be negligable in a switchroom, all the gear is in metal enclosures that are earthed, so it will be minimal if any detectable field strength.

Hope this helps.

Interesting that you bring up the magnetic field part of the situation.

As in any industrial situation the computers should be housed in good quality cases with tightly fitting panels to provide the best level of EM shielding that is practicable. Good quality branded servers will almost certainly be in well-shielding cases, however if someone is planning on cutting costs by building a server with cheapo bits then the case is the one area they must not skimp.

As FWL says the mains equipment is all shielded by metal enclosures which will result in any EM fields being negligible. However, you can't rule out the possibility of this equipment being worked on live through necessity, in which case there could be some strong fields.

I have experience of using PCs in laboratory environments. Cheapo ill-fitting cases do result in more PC crashes in areas of strong fields (especially transient fields). The converse is true: they affect EM-sensitive equipment, however this isn't relevant in your friend's situation.

Buying industrial brand-name server equipment (i.e. not "domestic" brands) will certainly give you more insurance against data loss and productivity loss.

Sponsored Links
If the presence of 3-phase supplies in rooms where computers live were forbidden then we'd have problems with systems which need 3-phase power.... :confused:

But why do they want it in that room?

My concerns would be:

1) Environmental - how hot does it get in there, what is the heat output of the computer, and what (if any) aircon capacity is there? How clean (i.e. physically, e.g. dust) is the room?

2) EMI - there may not be much noise from the switchgear enclosures, but there may be a hell of a lot from the cables which might be troublesome, not to the server, but to its network cables.

3) Access - as FWL says there are restrictions on who should enter the room, and it might be operationally very difficult if the sysadmins or hardware maintenance engineers can't get in there. Conversely you may not want non-IT staff to have access to a room where there is a server.

If you were one of my customers I'd advise that you would need really compelling reasons to put a server in there. And I'd probably insist on a site survey by our service organisation.

i wouldnt put it there, apart from all the reasons mentioned, what if the server Is affected, you will then HAVE to move it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back