Concrete fairly recently placed around a septic tank cover is breaking up - why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of months ago I applied some replacement concrete around the edge of my septic tank cover (some of the original concrete was old and cracking).

I don't have a photo but just to give an idea of what I mean, I'm referring to the type of concrete edge as seen in this image I found online:

therefore the bevelled edge of slightly raised, angular concrete around the cover.

The concrete I bought was just your standard tub of ready-mix from B&Q. It wasn't quick drying.

Not sure what I did wrong but now the new concrete is cracking and lifting.

There was no frost so not sure why it's failed - maybe it dried too fast? I'm also pretty sure that I didn't add too much water to the mix.

To make sure that this doesn't happen again when I replace the failed concrete, what type of concrete should I buy and does anyone have any particular advice on after care while it's curing?

Thanks.

BTW, the metal groove (the frame???) that the cover sits on is also badly rusting and small parts have broken off in some areas but the lid still sits well in the majority that's left. Can these frames easily be replaced? Dimensions of my current single seal pressed steel galvanised steel covers are 600mm x 600mm for the inside of the frame (therefore the hole), 620mm x 620mm for the cover measurements, and 20mm for the depth of the cover.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back