Condensing Boiler Position with regards to boundary line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anyone please confirm what the building / corgi regulations are regarding the positioning of a condensing boiler in regard to the boundary line. I have read that it's 2.5m in a boiler Exception Guide but I am not sure if this is out of date.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated if you could give me a document reference it would be even better
Thanks in advance
Karen

Sponsored Links
Building regs always causes confusion.

The gas regs are that if a boiler flue is firing over or towards a boundary, then it must be a minimum of 600mm from the flue to the boundary.

If it is firing parallel to the boundary then it must be a minimum of 300mm from it.

Hi,
does this mean that if my neighbour installs a condensing boiler with the flue pointing at my garage wall if there is a 600mm plus gap I can't do anything about it even though the plume is hitting my wall

Karen

There then comes another grey area, where all the regs are met, but there is then the 'nuisance factor'.

Your neighbour could have a plume management kit fitted to his flue to take the 'steam' up and away from your wall.

Sponsored Links
remember there is nothing new coming out of the flues of condensing boilers...it is just cooled down to a point where you can see it. if over 600mm then it not a gas reg thing...

if it was steaming up your window i would be a bit more supportive but hitting your wall...mmm not so much ;)

Hi Karen,

I understand how you feel about the pluming as I am having to put up with the plume from someone elses boiler and believe me it is very, very annoying as I sometimes feel as if I am sitting in an aircraft looking out onto clouds.

I have researched the subject of pluming in depth and have now come to the conclusion that what we read from British Standards Rules and Regulations regarding pluming is a load of rubbish when it comes to the nuiscance factor regarding the neighbours as the people on the receiving end of the plume have their hands tied behind their backs and have to endure this pluming whether they like it or not.

I keep reading about pluming kits but it would appear that only a very few people use them or are prepared to pay a little extra to avoid upsetting their neighbours.

It would appear that it is not alright to pollute the atmosphere hence the need for condensing boilers but it is okay to upset the neighbours by pumping this stuff out over windows, bounderies etc.,

I have been told that there is nothing whatsover I can do about a neighbours plume even though it crosses over my windows constantly and has a smell. Although the windows are not open alot in the winter I would like to know what happens later on in the year when its warmer and the boiler is in use at certain times.

If I loved steam that much I would go and stand in the shower on and off throughout the day, enough said.

I am sick and tired of hearing that 'IT IS ONLY STEAM AND IT WON'T HARM YOU'

Unfotunately Karen some people don't give a hoot about the nuicance issue, its a case of 'blow' you I'm alright Jack!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back