Conduit for tails on outside wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having the electric meter moved from inside the house to gain space and it is going on an outside wall. The CU will be inside, just under the ceiling. The intention is to run the tails and earth inside conduit from the outside surface mount meter cabinet, up the wall and in behind the cu. Can plastic conduit be used for this? Impact resistant? Obviously good protection is required. Otherwise I assume that metal conduit is the answer. If it's metal I assume that it has to be earth bonded.
For anyone interested, Aquila charge £390 to move the meter when under 5m. This is based on you digging the trench, drilling any holes in walls, providing and installing the meter cabinet, cable ducting, flexible cable ducting and yellow safety tape (all Jewsons). They just provide the cable, move the meter and connect it up! So not a cheap job! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Plastic or metal its up to you........its going to have to be big conduit though....2x25mm & 1x16mm

If it's metal, I presume it has to be earth bonded so how do you get a bond onto conduit going into a plastic utility box?

As far as I am aware it doesn't need to be bonded, but if for yourself you could use an earth clamp aroung the conduit, or if it was to go through a conduit box you could bond it there with a lug..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back